DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ultimate Newbie "Where do I start?" Thread

cj2164

Reactions
Just pulled the trigger on purchasing MP2 with Fly More Kit, should be here in 3 days. Did it after flying for the first time a month ago (Inspire 1 V1 Pro from work). Since I am totally new to drone world I figured I would start a thread asking all of you experienced pilots what is the first thing someone like me should do when my bird arrives. I am talking about practical advice, literally everything from how to unpack it to getting proper certification to flying 101. And go!.............

Reactions: jevanbenschoten
Just pulled the trigger on purchasing MP2 with Fly More Kit, should be here in 3 days. Did it after flying for the first time a month ago (Inspire 1 V1 Pro from work). Since I am totally new to drone world I figured I would start a thread asking all of you experienced pilots what is the first thing someone like me should do when my bird arrives. I am talking about practical advice, literally everything from how to unpack it to getting proper certification to flying 101. And go!.............
Settings for Gain/Expo/Pitch EXP etc. Do you know what it all means?

A UAS Pilot's Guide To (Not) Talking To The Tower - June 2017 update

UAV Forecast

Last edited:
Reactions: gm383
I remember the first time Updating the Firmware for your Mavic and controller was Mind numbing slow
and would lock up just before it finished.......... I hope that prosess has Improved

These are great Birds
With ease of flight ...some much so they will lul you into a sense of thinking you a better operator then you are
Don't panic
Never pull both sticks down (CSC) when your mavic is in flight .!
In you controller setting make sure setting are with loss of signal Return to home (RTH)
Your RTH Height should be Higher then any obsticals (Tree's, Building,) near your landing spot (home port)
always warm up.!..... and lift off to enough to set your home port
Try not to fly into the Sun Glare (low setting sun)

and never fly with less then %20 battery life.!!
Injoy...........
.....cR

Watch as many YouTube videos as you can before it arrives
Couldn't agree more with this one ... There are loads of YouTube video's out there designed to give those new-owners and new-to-drone-owners the basics on how to get your drone ready for flight, as well as flying it ... Get familiar with pre-flight checks and the value of IMU and Compass calibrations.

Read the manual numerous times. Watch as many tutorials on you tube many times. First flight be in a wide open area.

Watch as many YouTube videos as you can before it arrives

This is what I did and it helped so much. Also, don’t get carried away by how excited you are to get it up. Make a checklist and be sure to do everything. I watched so many videos on my mavic before it showed up and knew a ton but was so excited to fly it that I forgot to take off the gimbal protector and it got a gimbal error. Also, I recommend having the drone hover for a minute at about 4 ft height before taking off for real in case any problems emerge so that if it falls, the damage will be minimal.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Make a simple checklist Rockisy suggested.

(I am assuming that all the calibrations have been done, camera and video settings have been set, firmwares/updates have been done, etc).

Here is my daily preflight checklist:

1. Check memory card has been inserted.

2. Fully charged batteries (drone, RC, phone/tablet).

3.Battery on the drone completely seated.

4. Remove lens protectors.

5. Turn on RC, drone, launch App, and make sure you can see what the camera is seeing.

6. Set the home point.

7. Fly straight up about 10M and hover for a few seconds.

8. Battery life should still be above 95% or so and head out.

9. Remember to be close to home point when approaching 30% battery life.

I am still a noobie and am very cautious about battery life. Also, I activate RTH when I lose my orientation or feel the wind has picked up.

I fly in my neighborhood occasionally. I take it straight up until I can barely hear it. Then, I go a bit higher. I doubt my neighbors know that there is a flying camera well above them.

Simba

Reactions: cj2164
Read all of the "my drone crashed for no reason" threads on this site. 99% of the time there is a reason and you will learn a lot about what not to do.

Read all of the "my drone crashed for no reason" threads on this site. 99% of the time there is a reason and you will learn a lot about what not to do.
I've noticed this. I am not surprised really, people (including myself) don't want to admit they might have screwed up. I particularly like the guy who decided to fly in sport mode through a forest. Nope, never in a million years would I have expected that drone to impact a tree!

The UAS Pilots Guide and its link to AirNav was the best help ever an glad Slim.slamma posted it. All the suggestions of watching videos and reading manual are a must. Make sure before each flight you follow a checklist to make sure everything is working. Based on information from videos and here I make sure that I don't just start up and fly. I just bring up the drone to about 30 ft and make sure rth, gps, etc. are all working.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctiptonk