DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to link Smart Controller to Mavic 2 Pro

panhead57

Reactions
I recently purchased an “Open Box” RM500 Smart Controller (SRC). Since I received it, I have been unable to link it to my Mavic 2 Pro drone (M2P). The M2P has been working fine with its Standard Controller (SC). The M2P and the SC have the latest firmware installed. Version 01.00.0797 for the Aircraft and 01.00.0770 for the Controller. The App version is 4.3.60.

When I started up the Smart Controller, it updated to the latest firmware version 01.01.0072. When I check the SRC’s firmware version with my PC using the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series) program, it shows that the firmware V01.01.0072 is current. In the SRC’s “About” screen, it shows the App version to be 4.3.60.

The problem arises in the fact that the SRC will not enter the linking/pairing mode, regardless of the method used. I followed the procedure of starting up the SRC and then the M2P. When I try using the two “C” buttons and the “Record” button, it just beeps 2 times but the status light does not start blinking blue like it is supposed to. When I try linking to the M2P using the DJI GO 4 app in the controller and going in to the remote controller settings and selecting “Remote Controller Linking”, it asks me to select a frequency setting of “Primary RC” or “Secondary RC”. Whichever one I select, nothing happens, even though this is supposed to initiate linking. When I try to use the “Connect” feature on the controllers main menu and click on the selection for “Mavic 2 Pro”, nothing happens.

After performing several factory resets and refreshing the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series), I still cannot get the controller to initiate linking.

One thing I think is strange is that if I log in to the DJI GO 4 app on the controller with WiFi turned off, it checks the firmware status and says it is current, however, if I log in to the DJI GO 4 app with WiFi turned on, I get a red banner on the left upper hand corner saying “New firmware is available -> Remote Controller 01.01.0072”, even though the controller’s firmware is 01.01.0072.

Also, there is an Image of a Phantom 4 on the main controller screen, instead of a Mavic 2 Pro, which leads me to believe it is not seeing the Mavic 2 Pro. I have never owned a Phantom 4.

Does anyone have any suggestions? At this stage, I’m starting to think the Smart Controller is just defective.

The only phantom series that controller works with is the V2 series phantom.
In your post, you don’t mention pressing the link button on the aircraft. Is that sequence been tried?

Reactions: RodPad
In your post, you don’t mention pressing the link button on the aircraft. Is that sequence been tried?

I did try using the aircraft's linking mode, both after trying to get the controller into its linking mode and after, hoping it would somehow send a signal to the controller.

Since you don't see a picture of a Dji Air 2 S /DJI mini 2 /Mavic Air 2 /Mavic 2 pro/ Mavic 2 Zoom/Mavic 2 pro-Enterprise/ dual/ Phantom 4 pro V2.0 and Mavic 2 Enterprise advanced. You are in the wrong Firmware or it didn't flash correctly. Use DJI assistant to flash not the controller. Make sure you download the right DJI assistant before you flash the firmware.
From the main controller menu, if I select "Connect" and swipe to the right, I do see all the aircraft you mention, including the Mavic 2 Pro. After powering up the Mavic 2 Pro and waiting a few minutes, I then select the Mavic 2 Pro to start linking, however, nothing happens. From what I have read, following this procedure should cause the controller to initiate its linking mode, after which you should press the link button on the aircraft. Even though the controller doesn't initiate its linking mode, I have tried pressing the aircraft link button anyway - nothing happens.

I am using DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series) Version V2.1.20, which I believe is the latest version. I even uninstalled and re-installed the Assistant program on my PC several times, and “refreshed” the controllers firmware (V2.01.01.0072) after performing a factory data reset on the controller. Same result - the controller still won’t enter the linking mode.

Initially the Controller was showing DGI GO 4 App 4.3.54, so I used the Lightning Browser on the controller to go to the DJI.com site and downloaded DGI GO 4 to the controller. Then went to Files – Downloads and installed it on the controller which now shows 4.3.60.

When I log in to the controller’s DGI GO 4 App with WiFi turned OFF, it says Firmware version is current. If I then go to the “About” section, it shows Remote Controller “1.1.5”.

When I log in to the controller’s DGI GO 4 App with WiFi turned ON, I get a red banner on the left upper hand corner saying, “New firmware is available -> Remote Controller 01.01.0072”. If I then go to the “About” section, it shows Remote Controller “00.00.0000”.

Could this be part of the problem?DJI SRC - WIFI OFF.jpgDJI SRC - WIFI ON.jpg

Might be an uninformed question but, has this controller been activated?

I went through the activation when I first powered on the smart controller.

I finally got hold of DJI tech support. We went through everything I had done, tried a few more things, and the tech then concluded that my smart controller is defective.

The seller has agreed to a return so it’s headed back to him for a full refund.

I may try to source another one that works as I would really like the convenience of not having to use my smartphone or tablet with an RC to control the aircraft.

Returned the problem used Smart Controller for a refund and ordered and received another used controller from a vendor I have had good luck with.

Happy to say the new (to me) controller paired with my M2P and is functioning perfectly.

Glad it's all sorted out for you.

Reactions: sarahb
Have you tried reaching out to DJI support? They might have some insight or could offer a replacement if it's indeed defective.

I did reach out to DJI support. After trying various things with them on the phone, that advised that the first smart controller was defective. I returned it for a credit and bought another one that easily connected to the Mavic 2 Pro and has been working perfectly.

I see that you took care of the issue but I learned that when I want to switch aircraft to all ways start the aircraft first and on the menu page in your pics tap on the remote icon and scroll down and you will see [Remote Controller Linking]. You wouldn't think that you would need to go here buy it would work for me.

I see that you took care of the issue but I learned that when I want to switch aircraft to all ways start the aircraft first and on the menu page in your pics tap on the remote icon and scroll down and you will see [Remote Controller Linking]. You wouldn't think that you would need to go here buy it would work for me.
Thanks for this advice. I tried this along with dozens of other possible solutions I found on this site and elsewhere on the web, however, nothing worked. The first controller was definitely defective.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078