DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to take off, set hover mode

jkhawks13

Reactions
Hey guys, has anyone had the error pop up "Unable to take off, set hover mode"? From what I've seen trying to look into it, normally you set the hover mode from the "flight safety tips" pop up that started coming up with one of the recent firmware updates (from end of 2023/early 2024 I think). However, this flight safety tips isn't popping up at all and therefore not giving me the option to even select the hover mode, and can't find a setting or anything anywhere that allows you to set the hover mode. The error comes up when trying to start the drone up for take off. The drone is a Matrice 30 but uses the DJI Pilot 2 app so I'd imagine the settings and start up sequence is essentially the same between that and the Mavic drones. Thanks in advance, any help on fixing this would be appreciated, it's currently preventing us from being able to fly at all and is incredibly frustrating that a pointless pop up like that that doesn't even do anything of value is grounding us!

Reactions: Dbez1 and 4006448
From our Public Safety coordinator…”Yes that is exactly what happened yesterday, I have also read that it is being caused by the update that was pushed out.

When I went in and looked at the settings I found that another update was in there. After I updated the drone and controller and Firm Wear it worked fine. I am assuming that was the issue.

I also read that if you bumped the Return to Home Button while it was on the ground that it cause this to happen as well. I am glad that the update fixed our issue.”

I hope this helps you.

Reactions: jkhawks13
I really do wish there was an on screen confirmation signal loss behavior. Many times I don't want RTH, I want hover. Do you don't always think about that on every single flight. This flight, I'm going to be under tress, or I'm starting from a location with trees so I don't want RTH, I want hover. Then next flight, I'm ok, and want RTH, but I don't run through the full pre-flight checklist on every single launch at a shoot so maybe I miss that. How hard would be it be on power up / connection, to just have a tap option for Hover or RTH. They sure don't make drilling down to finding and changing it convenient. Even if all I do is click RTH while its on the ground and it toggles RTH behavior, that would be awesome.

From our Public Safety coordinator…”Yes that is exactly what happened yesterday, I have also read that it is being caused by the update that was pushed out.

When I went in and looked at the settings I found that another update was in there. After I updated the drone and controller and Firm Wear it worked fine. I am assuming that was the issue.

I also read that if you bumped the Return to Home Button while it was on the ground that it cause this to happen as well. I am glad that the update fixed our issue.”

I hope this helps you.
That is exactly what ended up happening, thank you. I think we just ended up having to go fly in the window of time between the updates. So far the issue seems to be gone, I hope the new update keeps that dialog box away.

Reactions: Dbez1
I really do wish there was an on screen confirmation signal loss behavior. Many times I don't want RTH, I want hover. Do you don't always think about that on every single flight. This flight, I'm going to be under tress, or I'm starting from a location with trees so I don't want RTH, I want hover. Then next flight, I'm ok, and want RTH, but I don't run through the full pre-flight checklist on every single launch at a shoot so maybe I miss that. How hard would be it be on power up / connection, to just have a tap option for Hover or RTH. They sure don't make drilling down to finding and changing it convenient. Even if all I do is click RTH while its on the ground and it toggles RTH behavior, that would be awesome.
Agreed, the settings seem very convoluted to me at times and it can be hard to track down which settings are where which is inconvenient to then have to scroll through when you're out trying to fly. Like an information overload. Seems like there should be some sort of option to add flight profiles or something that saves settings. And maybe there is, I'm not as familiar with this pilot app yet

Reactions: Xitor

Don't forget to update the Soft Wear as well. Winter's coming. Patagonia's got some nice fleece jackets.

😛🤣

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr