DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unexpected encounter with 2 helicopters

I only heard them coming and expected that they would not be as low as my drone. I am not good at judging heights!
/QUOTE]
Without something to compare scale most people aren't good at height estimation.

I have seen large military choppers flying @ 50ft on our cattle stud ,Qld Australia. I could show you footage, "but I don't want to rock the boat"The Mavic seems to go up awfully fast , but awfully slow to descend......maybe the safest thing would be , If you are not sure....stay where you are...........a big sky, you would have to be very unlucky to be hit......an Eagle maybe ? maybe all this hysteria is only festering the the all to prevalent Paranoia .

It will descend a lot quicker if you add some forward motion. Otherwise, they slow the descent rate to avoid too much propwash or a vortex ring state.

Reactions: HDBOB
You did great! Your first and foremost responsibility was to avoid potential conflict with a manned aircraft. You quickly assessed the situation and took appropriate action to minimize the danger of a possible collision. Please extend your right hand straight out in front with palm up. Now, continue to bring the right palm up and over your shoulder and give yourself a hardy pat on the back for a very safe move! Or, . . . have a friend do it for ya. Kudos to ya! I really like to hear of people doing the right thing. It really helps make the UAV pilots look good. Keep up the great work.

1538237941285.png

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Pretty broad statement to be throwing out there that people going for range records are idiots.
Not something I have ever attempted and probably never will, but that doesn’t make me a better person than someone who does.
It seems that this forum is degrading at an exponential rate these days.
It’s getting very tiring reading the opinions of middle aged men who think they know it all. Can you imagine being in a room with half of these guys....

NO! I cannot... And I don't even wanna think about it... :)

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I was flying on a local hillside which would be several hundred feet above the surrounding area. So I could legally fly at 400 ft above the hill. A helicopter transitioned overhead at speed and must have been sitting on its minimum of 1000ft, if that. It did not rise to allow for the elevated ground and so broke the law and flew into my space. Fortunately my Mavic was about 400m away . People say you can hear helicopters coming. When they fly straight at you at 100 knots they appear very fast!

BVLOS. I frequently fly several hundred metres away and can not hear or see the Mavic. I alway familiarise myself with the surrounding area and always know exactly where I am flying, using the camera, map and observation. If the Mavic fails and drops it will land harmlessly in the sea, a river, an empty beach or some bush (subtropical forrest). Maybe crash on a unmanned boat in a marina. No danger except to my pocket. I have flown real aircraft and instinctively add altitude when in doubt. Usually return home at altitude and usually manually using the map until I get visual - more to do. I only ever operate low if I am very close and can see the Mavic clearly. Never snoop. In my view there is a safe grey edge to BVLOS.

And yes farmers use drones in New Zealand BVLOS, even open and close gates with a magnetic switch attached. I suspect they don't think much about CAA. Could be wrong.

Distance records, whats the point?

I have seen large military choppers flying @ 50ft on our cattle stud ,Qld Australia. I could show you footage, "but I don't want to rock the boat"The Mavic seems to go up awfully fast , but awfully slow to descend......maybe the safest thing would be , If you are not sure....stay where you are...........a big sky, you would have to be very unlucky to be hit......an Eagle maybe ? maybe all this hysteria is only festering the the all to prevalent Paranoia .
Throw it into sport mode to descend faster.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sound