DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unexplainable Altitude/Velocity Variations During RTH

brooooo
this was happening to me, when I press RTH the drone started coming home then suddenly stop and it went up past its designated limit then started coming home again and it did it again stop and accended even more....wtf

brooooo
this was happening to me, when I press RTH the drone started coming home then suddenly stop and it went up past its designated limit then started coming home again and it did it again stop and accended even more....wtf
The most common cause is the obstacle avoidance identifying the sun as an obstacle and trying to avoid it.
Post flight data and it might help identify the cause of the incident.

The most common cause is the obstacle avoidance identifying the sun as an obstacle and trying to avoid it.
Post flight data and it might help identify the cause of the incident.
today it was cloudy no sun...

visibility 10 miles..

Yes ... but since you've updated to app version 1.2.2 or later, we can't see all the data so it's not as easy to analyse.
250 in the controller settings but like i said it went up to that 250f then it stop and went up more and keep doing that until i press H to pause it.

250 in the controller settings but like i said it went up to that 250f then it stop and went up more and keep doing that until i press H to pause it.
RTH height = 108 ft, Max Altitude = 495 ft.
First RTH at 46 seconds, drone was at 133 ft and returned at 133 ft on heading 310°.

At 80 seconds you reset the RTH height to 200 ft.
RTH initiated at 106 seconds with the drone at 134 ft.
Drone ascends to 200 ft and heads toward home (311°).
But it slows at 125 sec.
At 127 seconds it starts climbing to 226 ft, later slows and climbs to 250 ft

RTH initiated again at 470 seconds with the drone at 160 ft.
It climbs to 200 ft, turns to face 91° and starts to fly home.
Then slows and climbs to 221 ft and comes home.

You have this happening in opposite directions, so the sun can be discounted as an explanation.
There's no indication of a problem with the downward sensors either.
I can't find any easy explanation in the data, so I'd suggest making an enquiry with DJI.

I think I've seen another post about a mystery climb, stop, climb, stop RTH issue like this.
I'm not sure if an explanation was found for it.

Reactions: Javierz0509
First RTH at 46 seconds, drone was at 133 ft and returned at 133 ft on heading 310°.

But it slows at 125 sec.

You have this happening in opposite directions, so the sun can be discounted as an explanation.
I can't find any easy explanation in the data, so I'd suggest making an enquiry with DJI.

I think I've seen another post about a mystery climb, stop, climb, stop RTH issue like this.
right at first I thought it was the sun... but it keep doing this even when it was cloudy..,.. you nailed everything that happened to me..... thank you .... its weird it started doing this the drone been flying great until now, also i remember too when i moved forward and climb up at the same time it started doing some weird movement...

right at first I thought it was the sun... but it keep doing this even when it was cloudy..,.. you nailed everything that happened to me..... thank you .... its weird it started doing this the drone been flying great until now, also i remember too when i moved forward and climb up at the same time it started doing some weird movement...

How cold was it that day? The Mavic Air 2 operating temperature is 14° - 104°F.

How cold was it that day? The Mavic Air 2 operating temperature is 14° - 104°F.
Same exact thing happened to me recently around the same date Feb 8th 5p local time. temp 28F
Sun low on the horizon. There is a lot of snow on the ground, perhaps that adds to the root cause ?
in my case I was RTH towards west, and sun was right in the face of the drone.

did the same thing, kept pausing, mysteriously rising, and then repeat... i got nervous, and cancelled the RTH brought the bird home immediately.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2021-02-20-16h58m02s678.png
    vlcsnap-2021-02-20-16h58m02s678.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 4
More of these mystery incidents have shown up.
Cold, snowy environments seem to be a factor but I'm not sure how that would cause the issue.

But it slows at 125 sec.

Update: so I got my drone back from DJI they said it was the Flight Controller that was bad, they replaced the whole drone with a brand new one, I have DJI refresh but the drone was still under their warranty and they replaced it without touching my DJI Refresh, tested the new drone and there is no issue.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird