DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unexplained events.

DKnight

Reactions
An unexplained event occured today with my Air 2s being about a half a mile from home base. Out of nowhere, NO warning of of weak signal or lost connection...all communication with drone and radio stopped for over five plus minutes with a frozen color screen. This all happened while manually making my return to home and video recording at the same time. I pressed the rturn to home button several in hopes of making contact...the rth button, gave no attempt beeping...it was silence. Negative reuslts after disconnected and re-connected the cable shared with control and phone. I gave up thinking the drone would return after over five plus minutes. Keep in mind, it was about a half a mile from home base. Everything came back on line and my Air 2s did eventually rth after I gave up and started walking away. What happened?

Do you have AirData log file or something similar to review?

glad you got your drone home ,just a small point for RTH you need to press the RTH button for a few seconds ,a quick press just puts the brakes on ,also if you keep pressing it many times , it is just disabling it all the time ,if you didnt get the bleeping then you were not in RTH

If the controller loses connection to the drone then doing anything with the controller and or the App, except perhaps aligning the antennae in a more suitable way, does nothing.....there is no connection via which the "anything" can be transmitted to the drone.

If the Air 2S works the same way as other Mavics, I think the logs needed are more likely to be on the phone rather than on the controller.
Also the logs that are on the drone are likely to be unreadable............ unless there is a log on the micro SD card.
However, the logs recovered from the phone will be missing the information 'sent' during the disconnected period, it is not received by the controller. So, you are likely to have data from before and after the disconnection but no data (accessable) from during the disconnection.

What the drone does at disconnection should be determined by the setting in the App.

An unexplained event occured today with my Air 2s being about a half a mile from home base. Out of nowhere, NO warning of of weak signal or lost connection...all communication with drone and radio stopped for over five plus minutes with a frozen color screen. This all happened while manually making my return to home and video recording at the same time. I pressed the rturn to home button several in hopes of making contact...the rth button, gave no attempt beeping...it was silence. Negative reuslts after disconnected and re-connected the cable shared with control and phone. I gave up thinking the drone would return after over five plus minutes. Keep in mind, it was about a half a mile from home base. Everything came back on line and my Air 2s did eventually rth after I gave up and started walking away. What happened?
When you lose all connection between your drone and remote, YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING. Well, I don't at least. I just wait. I don't touch anything. The drone has it's own RTH and will go to the Home point without any help from you and the remote. I don't start pressing the RTH button, unless I'm in a spotty signal area. I just sit and wait until the beeping starts, then I look to see how far my drone made it's way back home.

Though, I have actually gotten in my car and started driving toward the last known location of my drone. It's speeds up the process of reaquiring the signal and it helps, just in case the drone did something other than an RTH.

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
Sounds like you had the local app do a solid crash, be interesting to see what the logs say,.

Reactions: DKnight
Sounds like you had the local app do a solid crash, be interesting to see what the logs say,.
I've also had that happen before. Had to close the app while flying and restart it. That made me slightly nervous. I even had to uninstall and reinstall an app once. Luckily I had the time. The air was calm and the flight battery level was decent.

........ust sit and wait until the beeping starts, then I look to see how far my drone made it's way back home.............
Since I am deaf I can not hear any beeps, this prompts the question does the controller or phone vibrate when it starts this beeping?
Whilst I do not yet have a drone that uses the RC231 controller I have at times lost connection with my mavic mini and had to wait for it to come back and being honest if the controller etc. vibrated when the connection was regained I did not notice but then again I tend to ignore any vibrations so it or they may have done.

What the drone does at disconnection should be determined by the setting in the App.
@ DKnight, you should actually check if you can change the response to a disconnection and what it is set to, I imagine it is RTH but.....

If, by any chance, the Air 2s offers "hover" as a response to disconnection and that is the set response AND if the Air 2s has a "low battery" RTH then "hover" would probably end with an RTH.
I tested this with my mavic mini, by switching the controller off whilst the drone was a reasonable distance away and the disconnection response was set to hover. Eventually the MM RTH'd. Once the RTH started I switched the controller back on.

I Hi thinks for responding...I don't have my Air 2s with me at this time download ac log to phone to upload.
The recorded flight data is on the phone or tablet you used for flying, not in the drone.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Repeated pushing of the RTH button can cancel RTH is there is a signal connection.
When in doubt about whether RTH is/isn't happening, the best thing to do is to switch off the controller for a minute.
That will cause signal to be lost and RTH to initiate (if it wasn't already happening.
Then turn it on again and be patient.

What happened?
When the first part of the flight record ends, the drone was 735 metres out and in Tripod Mode

When the app starts recording data again, 2:12 has passed and the drone is now in Normal Mode and 70 metres close to the home point, 13 metres higher and hovering.
Your RTH height was 92 metres.

This suggests that RTH was not initiated, as the drone was not at RTH height and not in RTH mode when signal was restored.
Presumably there was control signal for some of the time that the app was not recording, and you brought the drone higher and closer in that time.

The drone is left hovering from 8:42.6 to 12:15.6, when you initiated RTH.
It then climbed to RTH height and came home.

This is the kind of situation where switching off the controller would have helped.

Sadly, sometimes flying far away (.5 mile) results in signal loss / etc. Totally depends on environment as well. Quickest thing to do when everything shuts down is to restart the app (sometimes it does weird things for no real reason) or even reboot the phone / tablet. While that is going on - like others state, turn off RC and wait for the phone / tablet / app to get back up and running.

Helps to also know what firmware the drone, RC, and FlyApp are on. What phone / tablet are you using / etc. If Apple iPhone, some previous posts state issues with overheating and Panama is a bit warm most times.

More info on whole scenario is better for good folks here to try and help you figure it out.

Last but not least - fly shorter than .5 mile. The farther the drone is out - the more likely losing signal and depending on how much battery is left, you may not make it home.

When the first part of the flight record ends, the drone was 735 metres out and in Tripod Mode

When the app starts recording data again, 2:12 has passed and the drone is now in Normal Mode and 70 metres close to the home point, 13 metres higher and hovering.
Your RTH height was 92 metres.

This suggests that RTH was not initiated, as the drone was not at RTH height and not in RTH mode when signal was restored.
Presumably there was control signal for some of the time that the app was not recording, and you brought the drone higher and closer in that time.

The drone is left hovering from 8:42.6 to 12:15.6, when you initiated RTH.
It then climbed to RTH height and came home.

This is the kind of situation where switching off the controller would have helped.
Thanks for the input. It was flying well, and all of the sudden, things started happening without me directing it...strange.

Well the rth did what it was supposed to do.
The RTH did what it was supposed to do. Even if your remote falls to the floor and breaks into a thousand pieces the drone will come back and land.

I have encountered a case in which the drone (a Mavic 2 Pro), on its RTH after signal loss, was blocked by the boundary of an NFZ which is not exactly perpendicular to its flight path (a very important factor). Because the drone and the controller were not in contact, I had to wait for a few mins until the drone moved out of the NFZ boundary due to a small projection of the initial RTH velocity on the NFZ boundary (in the direction of my advantage). If the initial RTH trajectory is exactly perpendicular to the NFZ boundary, it would be stuck there forever, and the M2P would be a total loss.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50