DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unformat SSD tool?

Mecan

Reactions
Hi, I managed to format the internal SSD by mistake, I tried different (4) available tools for exFAT unformat but without success - nothing, after formatting the disk from RC Pro the SSD is probably irreversibly deleted? Has anyone managed to recover data from SSD ? If so, thanks for the advice, it would be quite useful...

Most folks don't refer to "unformat" because that's not what you do. Instead, the term is "data recovery" after format. Whether or not you can successfully do that depends on the kind of format you did. If you did a quick format, your data may be intact. Full formats, which can take quite a long time, generally over-write all data on the disk.

When you format a drive, the key thing that's done is to create a "file allocation table" (or a modern derivative...) which is essentially an index of files, containing the file name and the location on the disk of the start of the file. Erase a previous index, and the files can't be easily found.

Recovery software scans the entire drive, looking for the start of these files. It can be a slow process for large drives.

Hi, I managed to format the internal SSD by mistake, I tried different (4) available tools for exFAT unformat but without success - nothing, after formatting the disk from RC Pro the SSD is probably irreversibly deleted? Has anyone managed to recover data from SSD ? If so, thanks for the advice, it would be quite useful...

I would start here
HTH

Hey, thanks for the help. I've tried 4 or 5 exFAT tools, ranging from common to specialized. Recover files from formatted partition failed, most of the tools did not find any lost data (about 300GB ) ... I gave up, lesson for next time - format command SSD drive thoroughly overwrites, data is gone.

I suspect one of the first "tools" you tried did a complete format and wipe of the drive. That or the original format you did before you realized you have a problem.
Generally, data recovery tools can work well, but only if two conditions are met: First, you didn't do a complete format and wipe of the drive and second, you didn't continue to write other data to the drive.

I suspect one of the first "tools" you tried did a complete format and wipe of the drive. That or the original format you did before you realized you have a problem.
Generally, data recovery tools can work well, but only if two conditions are met: First, you didn't do a complete format and wipe of the drive and second, you didn't continue to write other data to the drive.
I accidentally clicked on "format" via FlyApp, yelled "f..k" and turned off the drone. Then I used Aidfile recovery / EasyUS data recovery / RescuePro / 4DDiG ... quick scan / deep scan, no result. Only AID File recovery found the second corrupted partition and marked it as "very bad" for recovery. No drama, I had important data on the NAS. But as an exercise it was good, even a negative result is a result :)

Oh man. @Mecan - I have been there. It is a sickening feeling and you have my sympathy. Next time, just ship it to the FBI and tell them some shady people were flying it. Let them do the data recovery. : )

Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803