DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unintentional Aquatic Touch and Go Disaster (Footage)

Oops didn't see that thanks! Makes a difference!
Sure does, if it was salt water, corrosion is a given, but river water can be cleaned much more easily. I'm an I.T guy, So I'd rip it open and clean everything with Isopropyl and a toothbrush. I saved a $7,000 file server that way once, it worked for another 4 years, after being underwater in a flooded basement.

• Wow
Reactions: Nodak7
Enjoyed the video ?. Great save. Don't know the reason for the sticks orientation. It's opposite from an airplane. "Pull back for up, forward down". Took a while to come natural. Think your bird is fine but might need an 'accident' near the end of 'refresh'.
Good luck, have fun. (with grandpa)
Remember that on an aircraft the yoke controls pitch (as well as roll) but while it might raise the altitude in the short term, it slows the plane down. To keep it going you need to add throttle, which involves pushing it away from you, exactly like pushing the throttle (left stick) on your drone controller. The drone uses throttle - faster prop speed - to climb. Push the throttle on a plane and without touching anything else it too will climb. The initial faster speed translates into increased lift and the plane will climb. So it’s actually the same, not the opposite.

what I find backwards is that on my boat, to go in reverse, you pull the gearshift lever back, while on a car you push the (center console) gear shift lever forward. I almost did it backwards as I was docking the boat one day early in the season.

yes, this is more effective. Rice does not absorb water without heat!! Test it sometime, put minute rice in a pan with water and do not heat, check it in an hour, rice will still be rock hard.

Not minute rice. Cheap dry rice.

A bit late, but consider a bath in 100% isopropyl alcohol. It will displace the water and then evaporate.

Looks like you may have been caught in a little turbulence off the boat's cabin.

We were on our annual Fishing trip on the Missouri River this year for my Grandpas Birthday! I thought i'd take the Mavic Air 2 out with us for some footage to keep since my Grandpa is getting old! Long story short, I've been playing too much Warzone lately I use a remote controller for. In the game the left stick controls your movement (forward, backward, left, right) so when trying to do a 180 shoot of the boat, as i passed over top i went to pull the drone back to get the boat back into frame, I immediately out of muscle memory jammed my left stick down and also immediately realized I made a huge mistake as i was at low altitude already and the Mavic doesn't have an immediate response time and I know there's a bit of a delay in camera feed. I pulled the altitude stick back up and the camera was facing the front right arm of the drone and water was everywhere! We stopped the boat and I flew the drone in and it was soaking wet! I pulled the battery and immediately wiped all water off of the drone. I then held the drone out the top of the boat for about 30 minuted in order to dry it out.

Its now sitting with the battery that was in the incident beside it in a bowl of rice and will remain there until I feel it safe. I have DJI Care, but iv'e already used one of my replacements (testing the obstacle avoidance feature to its max while doing a Corvette shoot). So id like to see if i can get by drying it out myself as it flew back to the boat just fine after the wreck. Not saying that means everything will be fine and dandy, but id say that's a better sign than the Drone completely wanking out mid air afterwards. Here's pretty much the exact steps I've been taking. You can survive water damage...

Anyways, here's what you guys came for!

I will update the thread as to what happens! If the rice doesn't work, back to the DJi factory it goes for repairs!
Atleast you didn't lose it...great recovery!

Good thing it was not salt water. With regular water, if you remove the batteries and let it completely dry out, you have a chance. But the batteries themselves may experience some corrosion until they dry out, since there is always voltage present.

I gave my Autel Evo a bath. Fortunately for me the battery came dislodged before it hit the water, so no fried circuitry. I poured isopropyl alcohol through the drone and the battery, liberally. This displaces the water. I poured it through every hole in the drone and battery. Let it sit for a few days (mostly because I lacked the stones to try to fly it again).
Everything is fine now. Been flying it for a year now after the dunk.
The secret is to get ALL the water out NOW. That way the minerals and other deposits aren't being deposited on the circuit board.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54