DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unlike the Mavic 3, The EVO 3 will have a 900mhz frequency band to penetrate solid obstacles.

cgmaxed

Reactions
The Specs for the Mavic 3 haven't been released yet, but I doubt they will have this 3rd transmission frequency band in addition to the 2.4 and 5.8ghz bands. This 900mhz band will only be available in the USA. Low frequency bands allow superior penetration of solid objects, allowing the drone to fly behind buildings, other solid structures and wooded areas/forests much easier. It will be interesting to see how this affects the EVO3's ability to fly at a lower altitudes without being hindered by trees and other structures. I'm not buying either until I see both thoroughly reviewed and put through their paces.

I've always wondered why drone manufacturers didn't include the 900mhz band. With this additional frequency band, I expect the drone to have exceptional low altitude capabilities, especially in areas with lot's of vegetation and trees. This will be very beneficial to 1st responders when searching for people in wooded areas. Yes, I know the data rate isn't as fast as the 2.4 and 5.8ghz bands, but the signal penetration, I expect, will be outstanding. For example, the EVO 3 should be able to fly down a curved river path or canal, all the while staying below the tree line, without any radio disconnect and that dreaded RTH altitude increase when trees are above it.

It should also improve the ability to lower the drone's altitude without losing a signal, especially in cases when a manned aircraft is too close. For those of you concerned about VLOS, because of this frequency allowing the drone to fly behind things, please don't bother. No planes or helicopters will be flying that low.

Cell phones use it and it does do well thru walls..but dreaded dropouts are not uncommon

Very interesting post, many good points to consider and what to look forward with future models.

I’m going to try this with my Evo 2 Pro V1, comparing 900mhz and then 2.4 ghz in thick foliage with many large oak trees. From a certain distance, Will fly Evo 2 Pro behind oak trees slowly lowering until feed breaks up. Compare the two bands, hopefully as you shared the 900MHz band fares better.

Apparently, my Evo 2 SmartController V1 gives me the option of either 900 or 2.4ghz. I know from a certain distance with no obstacles, starting with 900MHz eventually 900MHz breaks up, then I’ll switch to 2.4ghz to finish the flight, But haven’t tried comparing these two bands with obstacles.

Appreciate you reaching out and sharing, terrific information. I’ll compare my results here if it’s okay with you. Will be interesting to see if this plays out with 900MHz excelling in areas with obstacles, I hope, so as I too fly in areas along river banks and mountain terrain.

Thank you!
Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: cgmaxed
The old X-Stars Premium had 900mhz. Trust me they had just as many problems as 2.4 and 5.8Ghz. Also it is not legal in the UK as that band is set out for emergency response like fire and police.

The old X-Stars Premium had 900mhz. Trust me they had just as many problems as 2.4 and 5.8Ghz. Also it is not legal in the UK as that band is set out for emergency response like fire and police.
In the USA Emergency Services don't use 900mhz thus, as I said, it'll only be available in the USA. In case you're interested they use the following bands:
"...channels are available in the VHF band, 220 MHz band, UHF, T-Band, 700 MHz narrowband, 700 MHz broadband, 800 MHz band, 4.9 GHz, and 5.9 GHz bands"

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
That would be sweet. There's a clearing in some woods near my house where you can always see deer. It would be nice to bring the drone down but anything under 300 feet and I lose signal.

In the USA Emergency Services don't use 900mhz thus, as I said, it'll only be available in the USA. In case you're interested they use the following bands:
"...channels are available in the VHF band, 220 MHz band, UHF, T-Band, 700 MHz narrowband, 700 MHz broadband, 800 MHz band, 4.9 GHz, and 5.9 GHz bands"
Yes I know but since Autel is trying to be a international supplier I mentioned the UK as a no go. And for the USof A don't hold your breath about 900mhz. I been involved with Autel from the very beginning and know a thing or two about the 900mhz band they used in the past. If they have not changed anything then its not all that impressive.

Yes I know but since Autel is trying to be a international supplier I mentioned the UK as a no go. And for the USof A don't hold your breath about 900mhz. I been involved with Autel from the very beginning and know a thing or two about the 900mhz band they used in the past. If they have not changed anything then its not all that impressive.
Hopefully the 900mhz tech used today has improved. I can hope anyway. I hope your not right, but you may very well be.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Hopefully the 900mhz tech used today has improved. I can hope anyway. I hope your not right, but you may very well be.
could have been, better be, should have been fix with new tech, but maybe not, hope your not right, but probably are LOL
You should have been a politician. ?

Reactions: cgmaxed
Interesting, thanks for sharing

I used to use the 934Mhz Citizen Band here in the UK back in the late 80's early 90's, the band was unreal with regards to range, using 2w handsets back then the signal would go for miles & miles, base contacts of 60 miles + was the norm, was narrowband FM though so nothing like wideband data, but I was more than impressed with the penetration capabilities of 934Mhz, did lots of mobile tests from car with antenna on car roof, worked very well in built up areas, will keep an eye on this one to see how it fairs.

The 4 plus years that I used my old x-star (I say plus because I still use it) the signal was spotty in WiFi areas. I cannot remember but i think only the video feed was 900Mhz. We used to deck the controller out with the 4Hawks antenna for X-star Premium operating in 900MHz with 9dBi gain as well as 5GHz frequency with 16dBi gain. Then it was a pretty decent setup.
And adding a booster to that setup it was even better ;)

20170911_183843.jpg

Had an opportunity to compare 2.4ghz and 900MHz today, two identical obstacle comparison test using both bands. In an area with an orchard and building, from a distance of around 900 feet plus.

The first test, 900MHz picture feed was clear and didn’t disconnect. Was able to land Evo 2 with an orchard and building between Smartcontroller and Evo 2. Then switching to 2.4ghz, lowered Evo 2 following same path towards ground. Around 18-22 feet, Evo 2 disconnected from SmartController. Clearly, 900MHz was better as it did not disconnect in an area with obstacles.

Second comparison, a little further on this test with same building In between but with more distance. This time, both bands 900MHz and 2.4ghz fared the same. Was able to land with both bands, clear picture feed no disconnect. I know this may not sound like a big deal, especially first test at 900 feet plus but when you factor in a metal building and close to 900 plus feet of orange trees in between that’s a lot of mass obstructing the signal.

Apparently, 900MHz is better upclose in areas with obstacles. Further out they start to fare the same. And i do know from a pervious comparison, 2.4ghz band will fare much better over 900MHz as distances increase.

I’ll run more compassions in the near future, this is very interesting to know I can use 900MHz for closeup areas with obstacles.

Enjoy your flying, one of the greatest hobbies on the planet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme