DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

'Unlock gimbal while shooting' setting.

Clive Copeman

Reactions
I use this setting on my M2Pro to get my long exposure motion blur shots. Can anyone with the M3Pro tell me if it has the same option? Stills camera settings menu. Example of what I use it for: IMG_20230603_081852_004.jpg

Reactions: SethB
Just curious about what it actually is.
I am curious about the setting of "unlock gimbal while shooting."

What exactly does it do, and why would one want to use it, and exactly how was it used to create the image above?

Reactions: PAW
Update: DJI support says the setting has been removed from the Mavic 3 line... but I'm no clearer. Can anyone with a Mavic 3 try taking a long exposure looking down while spinning for me? You should hopefully be able to produce a circular blur, or a nice spiral if you ascend/descend at the same time.
I am curious about the setting of "unlock gimbal while shooting."

What exactly does it do, and why would one want to use it, and exactly how was it used to create the image above?
I believe it locks the orientation of the drone toward subject during photo exposure. DJI said it has been discontinued though. I suspect that few people found it had any impact on their work. I had to turn it off to enable the M2P to turn during a 1 second exposure while ascending to create the image above. I have a research grant to investigate intentional camera movement photography in drones... it's a field that I believe is largely unexplored. I have made a brief video introducing some of the techniqes I'm developing:

Reactions: SethB and GadgetGuy
Update: DJI support says the setting has been removed from the Mavic 3 line... but I'm no clearer. Can anyone with a Mavic 3 try taking a long exposure looking down while spinning for me? You should hopefully be able to produce a circular blur, or a nice spiral if you ascend/descend at the same time.

I believe it locks the orientation of the drone toward subject during photo exposure. DJI said it has been discontinued though. I suspect that few people found it had any impact on their work. I had to turn it off to enable the M2P to turn during a 1 second exposure while ascending to create the image above. I have a research grant to investigate intentional camera movement photography in drones... it's a field that I believe is largely unexplored. I have made a brief video introducing some of the techniqes I'm developing:
Well done.
I think you can't spin your roll axis like 360 while shooting. But when you look down and spin yaw axis you should get the same effect.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Well done.
I think you can't spin your roll axis like 360 while shooting. But when you look down and spin yaw axis you should get the same effect.
Thanks, full circle yaw in sport mode will do nicely for now... but roll... that would really be something!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143