DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unsafe (?) high speed flight through a river canyon.

bumper

Reactions
Okay, I'm cheating, this is using a GoPro on the wing strut of my Husky, flying the canyon faster than I usual do, so the turns are wider and I'm higher in places due to the wider radius turns. This as it was a turbulent day so wanted to stay well above stall speed. Skip to 4:00, turn sound down. I flew this in 2013 before much FPV and the advent of many more capable drones. There are a number of drone videos taken along this stretch, so I'd be more cautious flying this now, - wouldn't want to trash someone's drone.

East Fork of the Carson River

THAT’s FPV! ? Fun flight, reminds me of my shaky flight videos. All Without gimbles like now.

Nice flying but a lot lower than I usually flew. ?Not much time to find a spot for softfield (emergency) landing. You have the right plane though. Not as easy with my 172 Skywagon. Did enjoy soft takeoff/ landings Great fun.
Thanks for the memories ?

Reactions: bumper
Okay, I'm cheating, this is using a GoPro on the wing strut of my Husky, flying the canyon faster than I usual do, so the turns are wider and I'm higher in places due to the wider radius turns. This as it was a turbulent day so wanted to stay well above stall speed. Skip to 4:00, turn sound down. I flew this in 2013 before much FPV and the advent of many more capable drones. There are a number of drone videos taken along this stretch, so I'd be more cautious flying this now, - wouldn't want to trash someone's drone.

Good thing no one was flying in the Carson River in the opposite direction that day!

Reactions: bumper
@bumper reminded me of the video i used to get flying my X21 no gimbal and constant motor sound ,at least you maintained VLOS for the whole flight (joke)

Excellent job on the controls!
I had a similar experience a few days ago flying in a Cozy Mark 4 over Crater Lake Oregon.
I will post a short version of my flight on this forum soon.

Reactions: philglov and bumper

Hi Bumper, That is great footage but very risky. Low flying regulations are much stricter in Australia. That flight would be highly illegal in OZ with a minimum of 500 feet AGL required unless spraying or surveying etc..

Speed it up 2X and you got yourself Will Smith leading the aliens through the canyon... :cool: Kidding. Nice flying.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada