DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unsaved video and photos

The drone also has a built in small drive besides the Micro SD card. Maybe you are recording to one and looking for files on the one you are not using.

Make sure you know where it's recording and make sure you are looking in the right area.

You can change where it records via the controller menus.

Last edited:
I always remove the SD card and plug into a card reader on my PC. From there I move the files to a specific folder on my PC. (usually folder named for the job I did).

@Liverpool 1 firstly have you formatted the card in the drone before you started using it ,and is it suitable for that application
also if you have not set Cache to device turned on it will not send any pics or vids to the screen device only the card in the drone also when you set up the camera ,as has been mentioned you have a small built in storage in the drone and you need to specify whether you want to use that or the SD card you have fitted
may i respectfully suggest, that you have a good read of the online manual, which will help with understanding the different functions

Last edited:
Just to be clear, the controller and the drone both have a place for a mini SD card. Put a card in each. You can format the card in the device. You can select where images are stored. I store them on the card in the drone and remove it each time I return home, put the SD card in the card reader and get the photos or videos and store them in the computer. Once I confirm they are transferred to the computer, I delete what was on the card and usually return the card to the drone for recording the next time. But, every once in a while I unintentionally leave the SD card in the card reader. If that happens, I take the card out of the controller and put it in the drone and I am still in business. You will get the hang of it.

Reactions: old man mavic
Just to be clear, the controller and the drone both have a place for a mini SD card. Put a card in each. You can format the card in the device. You can select where images are stored. I store them on the card in the drone and remove it each time I return home, put the SD card in the card reader and get the photos or videos and store them in the computer. Once I confirm they are transferred to the computer, I delete what was on the card and usually return the card to the drone for recording the next time. But, every once in a while I unintentionally leave the SD card in the card reader. If that happens, I take the card out of the controller and put it in the drone and I am still in business. You will get the hang of it.
I follow a pretty similar procedure for unloading content and have been doing it in my DSLRs for years. After I transfers the images, I put the card back in the camera/drone/controller/etc and format it in the device.

I've heard that Windows, which is what I have always used ( I have a Mac Air, but never use ), something makes changes to the FAT table which sometimes causes corruption to occur on the device. So just to be safe, I always reformat it when I put it back on the device (camera/drone/etc). I don't bother erase the content, since the format will take care if that.

I ways make sure I two copies of the data before I delete. I have a RAID 10 NAS which in essence has two copies, and I also put it on an NVMe M2 drive to work on files since that is much faster than the NAS. The NAS is for log term storage,

Last edited:
Reactions: JimSteadman
Suggestion concerning "removing photos/video from card to computer and then deleting what's on the MICRO SD". I'd suggest not using the PC/laptop to delete the card data, or format the card. Just put it straight back into the drone and THEN format it through the flight app camera menu.

Reactions: MotoSavy
Suggestion concerning "removing photos/video from card to computer and then deleting what's on the MICRO SD". I'd suggest not using the PC/laptop to delete the card data, or format the card. Just put it straight back into the drone and THEN format it through the flight app camera menu.
It makes no difference whether you format it in the computer or in the drone.