DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unwanted Adventure!

Drone recovered by tree guy, ZERO damage, not even a dinged prop.

I don't know how that's possible, but I've already had it back in the air!

:)

TCS
Good to hear your drone out of the tree and back in the air!

I went to fly from the front flight deck today, because the sun was too bright on the back deck. I wanted to do some flying with the 4K resolution and 2X zoom (all I can get at 4K). Since it was a test, I wanted to do something docile, and settled on some tree climbing.

The tree is about 120 feet away, just off the road at the end of my driveway. I moved the drone so that I was approaching from the side, so that I could get a better sense for the distance from the tree. When it comes to the camera view, even at 1X, "Objects in Camera are Farther Than They Appear", to paraphrase the rear view mirror notice.

I was getting some really good footage, but the wind started to kick up, and I decided to call it a day.

Too late!

A strong wind gust caught the drone, and blew it into the top of the tree, about 80-90 feet up! I watched the flashing strobe in surreal horror, as it tumbled slowly down and down the tree...and then stopped. It had lodged on a branch just above the base of the tree, not more than 12 ft off the ground, strobe still flashing.

I went through the inventory of options that I had, and none of them were any good. So I thought, what do you when you have a cat up a tree?

You call the fire department! I did, and while they were seriously amused, they said they didn't rescue drones. While I was talking to the woman at the non-emergency dispatch, I figured I'd call some tree services.

One was there, but they weren't really interested. Another, I left a message. A third one was seriously amused, but all their people are out in the field. The woman in the office, said she would check with her folks to see what they could do. That's currently my best hope.

It's possible that the only damage is some busted props. The camera is still transmitting, but it won't move.

I've got the video on the phone, but I'm reluctant to mess with it right now, since I don't want to miss a return rescue call, and I only have the one phone. I hope I can get it down before the frost comes back tonight, but ironically given the recent comments here, I'll probably end up using one of my DJI Care re-fresh slots on this one.

(sigh)

If the video on the phone is any good, I'll upload it, and provide the link.

TCS
Funny the fire dept won't rescue it a good drone is worth more than any cat

Funny the fire dept won't rescue it a good drone is worth more than any cat
Not *MY* cat!

I got him as a still nursing kitten (I adopted his mother at the same time), and he's been with me for 16 years.

He's my Visual Observer...

;-)

TCS

Reactions: okw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member