DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Up in the Clouds

Its not about being 30 miles from the nearest airport. (Whats an airpot? LOL)

It about being 400 feet or below when flying. Regardless of distance from Airport. The FAA is very clear about this.

The mavic can handle 40 mph winds which it wont be windier than on a calm day
So you think that at 5700 feet MSL there is no air traffic (17 miles East of John Wayne Airport), flight corridors (Class "E" Federal Airways). . . . VFR checkpoints . . . . . or wind above 40 mph?

Chart_c.jpg

Someday some dimwit drone pilot flying more than 400' elevation is going to cause a major accident, and then the days of amateur drone piloting will be legislated away.

The mavic can handle 40 mph winds which it wont be windier than on a calm day
Tell that to all the poor suckers who lost their craft in only a moderate breeze.
10m/sec is the wind speed limit according to the specs.
So 20 mph, certainly NOT 40 mph.

IINM, those peaks in the pictures are Santiago Peak (5689 feet) and Modjeska Peak (5496 feet). So technically, as long as he stays within 400 feet radius around Santiago Peak, he can fly up to 6089 feet above sea level (400 feet above the terrain) without violating FAA regs, correct? Furthermore, Santiago Peak has a bunch of radio transmission towers on it; this raises his permissible flight ceiling even more (i.e. by however tall the tallest radio tower is) - again, within a 400' radius around the tower.

If I'm wrong please correct me. :)

If i launched from the top of santiago peak and flew 400 feet or under from that point that would be fine. In this case i was less than half a mile from santiago base and i didnt go even close to the peak height. I coukd have easily launches from santiago peak and flew above the clouds as the clouds were below the peak on that day. So where is the faa violation?

Planes flying 20 miles from the airport will be at 30000 ft and wont fly below that near a 6000 ft peak. Correct me if i am wrong if a plane will fly actually 500 feet above a mountain.

After reading this thread i will sell my mavic and buy one of these gyrocopters and get a pilots license.

Imagine drone dlying there u could probably do 7 km easily without radio interference u just have to watch out for the low dlying gyrocopters

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie