DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update on the ban in Sweden

ErikDF

Reactions
The Swedish government has made a proposal on changing the ban of drones. The change in law is suggested to come into effect August 1, 2017.
Please find below a partial translation of Magnus Fröderberg's article in Fotosidan. Publicerad 2016-12-19. Läst av 14310 personer.

Translated from Fotosidan
Regeringen vill tillåta drönarkameror - Fotosidan

“According to the Supreme Administrative Court, a camera mounted on a drone is regarded as a surveillance camera. And then it requires a permit from the provincial government to use the camera.

In a press release the government writes: "This is likely to complicate the civic use of the new technology and become unduly burdensome for a rapidly growing industry." The government wants drones with a camera to be used more freely by companies and this will require a change in the law.

- We have today sent out a proposal for comment in which drones are exempted from the permit requirements under the surveillance law, says Minister of Justice Morgan Johansson (S).”

Here you can read (in Swedish) the governments suggestion to the change in law.

Last edited:
You have to be aware of the fact that the ban is still on and it might not change until the end of 2017 or beginning of 2018. Furthermore the same rule applies to taking pictures with a camera using a remote controller. If you are not standing close to the camera it is considered a surveillance camera and then you have to have a permit or license. You have to pay about 400 USD for the application for the license of using a drone or a camera with a remote even if you do not get the permit. At the moment we are far away from going in the right direction

You have to be aware of the fact that the ban is still on and it might not change until the end of 2017 or beginning of 2018. Furthermore the same rule applies to taking pictures with a camera using a remote controller. If you are not standing close to the camera it is considered a surveillance camera and then you have to have a permit or license. You have to pay about 400 USD for the application for the license of using a drone or a camera with a remote even if you do not get the permit. At the moment we are far away from going in the right direction

So I'd need a permit for a remote shutter release? A cable release?

As long as it is attached to a bicycle handlebar it is ok according to the court :)

The Swedish government has made a proposal on changing the ban of drones. The change in law is suggested to come into effect August 1, 2017.
Please find below a partial translation of Magnus Fröderberg's article in Fotosidan. Publicerad 2016-12-19. Läst av 14310 personer.

Translated from Fotosidan
Regeringen vill tillåta drönarkameror - Fotosidan

“According to the Supreme Administrative Court, a camera mounted on a drone is regarded as a surveillance camera. And then it requires a permit from the provincial government to use the camera.

In a press release the government writes: "This is likely to complicate the civic use of the new technology and become unduly burdensome for a rapidly growing industry." The government wants drones with a camera to be used more freely by companies and this will require a change in the law.

- We have today sent out a proposal for comment in which drones are exempted from the permit requirements under the surveillance law, says Minister of Justice Morgan Johansson (S).”

Here you can read (in Swedish) the governments suggestion to the change in law.
Hi - I am a US citizen traveling to Sweden then Russia then Estonia in about a week. I do not plan on flying in Sweden but am hoping that i can bring my drone through Sweden so that I can fly in Russia and Estonia. Do you think it is large risk bringing my drone into Sweden?

Thank you so much in advance for your help. It's been hard to get an answers on the internet.

Buzzy_P
James

To my knowledge the restrictions are only related to flying, not bringing it to Sweden. Also these restrictions do not affect bying drones in Sweden. In short I do not forsee any risk in bringing your drone to Sweden. The restrictions have not stoped people from flying and we are all waiting for a more sensible law about the use of drones in Sweden.

Well, the restrictions about data privacy etc (which "banned" drones in the first place) does only apply for Swedish citizens, ie foreigners can film all day long.

To my knowledge the restrictions are only related to flying, not bringing it to Sweden. Also these restrictions do not affect bying drones in Sweden. In short I do not forsee any risk in bringing your drone to Sweden. The restrictions have not stoped people from flying and we are all waiting for a more sensible law about the use of drones in Sweden.

Thanks so much for your help. Just wondering, in practice do many people break the regulation and fly anyway?

Well, the restrictions about data privacy etc (which "banned" drones in the first place) does only apply for Swedish citizens, ie foreigners can film all day long.

Really, so you think I can fly there since I am a US citizen?

I think it' pretty safe to presume that:

The rules apply to Sweden, and if you chose to fly in Sweden, you fly under their rules.

If you download the app AirMap you can see that almost all of Stockholm is restricted area for flying with quads bacause of the airfield Bromma and hospitals with heliports. In short I would not fly in Stockholm.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580