DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Updating the Homepoint to my current position

jephoto

Reactions
HAS anyone with the Mavic 3 and the RC pro controller able to successfully change your home point to your current position if you’ve moved away from where you took off?

This is some thing that I have never been able to do for the past eight years using an iPad as my controller. Some thing I’m hoping will now be totally possible with the RC pro.

I often move around during a shoot and sometimes can end up a quarter-mile away from where I took off before the battery is done.

Yes! That feature now works properly on the RC Pro. It was critical, back when Mavic 3 satellite locks were taking 10 minutes, and one couldn’t wait, and the Home Point would get set improperly while underway! You have the option of resetting it to the RC or the current drone position at any time. Great feature!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Yes! That feature now works properly on the RC Pro. It was critical, back when Mavic 3 satellite locks were taking 10 minutes, and one couldn’t wait, and the Home Point would get set improperly while underway! You have the option of resetting it to the RC or the current drone position at any time. Great feature!
Hmmm. Didn’t see this, only with the new firmware or did I miss something?

Hmmm. Didn’t see this, only with the new firmware or did I miss something?
It's been there all along. The ability to set it to the drone position has always worked. The ability to set it to the Home Point has been working since March. You can also set it to a location other than the Home Point or the drone, by simply dragging it on the map, from either of those locations.

How do you choose the (moving) RC PRO as the home point before and after take-off?

You don't. The RC homepoint is not dynamic. If you move, you must reset it to your new location.
If that's the case that's unfortunate.
My questions remains:
How do you set the RC PRO as home point vs the default launch site set by DJI Fly.
How do you update it if you moving with a boat, car, walking?

My questions remains:
How do you set the RC PRO as home point vs the default launch site set by DJI Fly.
Easy. While hovering or flying, go to Safety/update home point/ then tap the controller icon. Or the Arrow icon if you want the HP to be where the drone is. Or tap a spot on the map if you need it to go to a specific location.

Reactions: zeusfl and Filmarik
My questions remains:
I guess you stop the boat or car before landing, right? So, when you do stop, simply update the home point to the location you are at. Then you can press RTH button on you controller and the drone will come to you. Not as convenient as a dynamic home point( which does not exist on M3) but it should do the job.

I guess you stop the boat or car before landing, right?... Then you can press RTH button on you controller and the drone will come to you.
You don't land the drone on a boat, and you never allow RTH to autoland on a boat.
On a boat you have to catch the drone.

You don't land the drone on a boat, and you never allow RTH to autoland on

You don't land the drone on a boat, and you never allow RTH to autoland on a boat.
On a boat you have to catch the drone.
I am sorry but in context of this conversation you are raising a moot point. I assume that the OP wants to know how to update the home point for being able to use RTH feature to bring the drone back to him or at least close to the boat or car or whatever the case might be. Deciding if he needs to regain full manual control during the final stage of the flight and if to land or hand catch has never been subject of this thread. Just saying...

Reactions: jephoto
Deciding if he needs to regain full manual control during the final stage of the flight and if to land or hand catch has never been subject of this thread. Just saying...
There's nothing wrong with adding to the discussion by commenting on something brought up by someone responding to the OP.
You'd only need 2-3 posts per thread.if posts only directly answer the query of the initial question.

Safety/update home point/ then tap the controller icon. Or the Arrow icon if you want the HP to be where the drone is. Or tap a spot on the map if you need it to go to a specific location
Thank you for the clear and useful answer! (Hard to get straight answers here.)

Reactions: Mecan
There's nothing wrong with adding to the discussion by commenting on something brought up by someone responding to the OP.
You'd only need 2-3 posts per thread.if posts only directly answer the query of the initial question.
No, there is nothing wrong with adding to the discussion. But quoting my post in your reply, as if it needed to be corrected was unnecessary. Moreover you do not "have to" hand catch on a boat. It would depend on how big is the boat and other circumstances. I did land on a boat when I felt it was safe to do so. Hand catching is dangerous on any moving platform and as such a last resort, IMHO.

Last edited:
The Home Point set from the drone is more precise than selecting return to RC location. The location can be off up to 20FT if you return to your RC location instead to the Home Point set by the drone.

However, if you are far from the original home point and you lose orientation from where you are this is better than not having options. You can take control again and land manually on your favorite place.

Also you can move the home point manually.

Reactions: jephoto
No, there is nothing wrong with adding to the discussion. But quoting my post in your reply, as if it needed to be corrected was unnecessary. Moreover you do not "have to" hand catch on a boat. It would depend on how big is the boat and other circumstances. I did land on a boat when I felt it was safe to do so. Hand catching is dangerous on any moving platform and as such a last resort, IMHO.
The “quote” function here is automatic if you reply to a specific post rather than a New post. It’s not a judgment on you, just a way of showing what the Reply is talking about…

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee