DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrade to mini 3 pro?

MikeyST1957

Reactions
Sometimes… after watching all the reviews and videos… I feel like I should upgrade from my mini2
I also always want the “ newest thing” ( guilty)
I don’t really feel limited with my mini 2, as mostly I fly recreationally

Anyone else sticking with their mini2?

Sometimes… after watching all the reviews and videos… I feel like I should upgrade from my mini2

I’m sticking with mine in anticipation of a DJI software upgrade that will make it RID compliant. If that doesn’t happen, I’m considering the mini 3 Pro.

Yep, I am a Mini 1 & 2 'sticker', I'd like the portrait orientation but feel the drone is ridiculously over priced for what it is.
I do not use OA on my M2P/Z.

I have the original Mini, planning on upgrading to Mini 3 Pro before September 16th, only to be Rid compliant.

I have a Mini 2 and a Mini 3 Pro and a Mavic 2 Pro. At this moment I am not considering selling my Mini 2 or M2P.

What pushed me over the edge for the Mini 3 Pro was the DJI RC controller for only $150 more than if ordered with the RCN1 which I already own. The DJI RC controller really speeds up the setup and launch of the Mini 3 because you aren't fumbling with mounting a phone or tablet and the cables to connect them.

Does the Mini 3 take significantly better images than the Mini 2? Marginally perhaps. I find the video of my Mavic 2 Pro more "buttery" than the Mini 3. And yes the Mini 3 has obstacle avoidance that the Mini 2 doesn't have, but you still have to be cautious. But one advantage that the Mini 2 has that the Mini 3 does not yet have and may never have is access to 3rd party apps such as Litchi, which allows you to pre-program missions and fly FPV with inexpensive VR goggles. To do that with a Mini 3 you would have to use a RCN1 controller and mildly expensive goggles like DroneMask/MagiMask (about $180USD) as the DJI RC has NO ability to use a separate device (phone/tablet). A pity. Even the RC Pro only has a HDMI output which would limit which goggles you might be able to use for FPV.

One huge advantage, if you are in the US, is that the Mini 3 has "plus" (extended life) batteries available that the Mini 2 does not have. The amount of extra air time that the plus batteries provide is amazing. If you keep your flying habits like you would with standard batteries you never have to worry if you have enough juice to get your drone home, even in gusty winds. While you always have to pay attention to battery life, the reserve can be most comforting.

Reactions: careless
Thanks that helps
And being an older guy with less experience, I sometimes get all-hyped about getting the
“ newest” version

I admit I fall for it after watching all the YouTube videos and recomendations

Thanks that helps
And being an older guy with less experience, I sometimes get all-hyped about getting the
“ newest” version

I admit I fall for it after watching all the YouTube videos and recomendations
Getting the newest thing, fresh out of the design box, seems to be a bad idea with some 'gadgets'.
Google the woes in the early history of the Mavic 3 Pro and the Mavic Mini.
Ok the Mini 3 Pro has been out a while and teething troubles largely sorted out but misting-up cameras may still be a problem.

I would take most youtube extolments with a pinch of salt, might they be influenced by freebies?

The Mini 3 Pro is a great drone but why upgrade to it if you are happy with your Mini 2 and it does everything you need!

The only reason I got a Mini 3 Pro is that I wanted a sub 250g drone to complement my Mavic 3 and that I could fly in places I could not fly my M3. I also bought it because it was the only sub 250g drone that you could buy as a drone only package (no controller) and that would work with my RC Pro controller I already had, so there was no need to pay for an unwanted extra controller. Also, very important for me, I could use one controller to fly both drones.

Chris

One thing I hadn’t mentioned is that another consideration in the Mini 3 price range is the Air2s. It is a more robust drone, takes outstanding images and videos. Yes, it’s a little heavier and larger than the Mini3 but will be more stable in gusty winds.

I know what you mean. Would also love to upgrade from my P4P and Mavic Pro 1, but have a hard time justifying due to 90% of the time I charge the batteries, something comes up and I don't fly!. A real disappointment.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin01