DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrading Mini2 to Air2s

Triggus

Reactions
Hello fellow pilots,

Thinking of treating myself with early xmas present and extend my "fleet" by adding Air2s. Like everyone else around I was waiting in excitement to see what the Mavic3 would be like and how much it will really cost.... as we know now- time to look elsewhere. The best value for money for average enthusiast like me seems to be fantastic Air2s.

I am a bit torn between two available options here in the UK:

Air2s Fly More on sale for £1049

Air2s Fly More with SC for some £1559

The Fly More combo with stock RC seems to be best bet, especially being on offer at the moment for £1049 from its regular price of 1169,

Yet having SC at least on paper still is a bit tempting, complete solution with very bright screen for these sunny days.

Now it seems to be impossible to buy old SC new, used ones still go for like 500 and the new one works only with m3 only (atm) and is so expensive that is out of question for me. So technically the best way to get SC for your Air2s is buy the combo.

And there are all the issues reported with Air2s and SC putting me a bit off really, Do you think it is something that Dji can and will resolve any soon?

I have seen somewhere that DJi updated spec on their website stating that the stock RC is Occu 3 capable and it switches between modes depending on drone? if that’s the case this makes buying SC even less appealing, Can you guys confirm ?

Think I am going for fly more with stock RC and tbh I am quite happy with my note 10+ even if its not the brightest phone on the planet, just need some one to tell me “forget SC not worth it !” :)

On a side note, I recon I will need CofC for my air2s ? Atm I got all that is required to fly my mini2 comfortable, I understand will need some certification to be able to fly air2s with similar restrictions as mini2 ?

Hello fellow pilots,

Thinking of treating myself with early xmas present and extend my "fleet" by adding Air2s. Like everyone else around I was waiting in excitement to see what the Mavic3 would be like and how much it will really cost.... as we know now- time to look elsewhere. The best value for money for average enthusiast like me seems to be fantastic Air2s.

I am a bit torn between two available options here in the UK:

Air2s Fly More on sale for £1049

Air2s Fly More with SC for some £1559

The Fly More combo with stock RC seems to be best bet, especially being on offer at the moment for £1049 from its regular price of 1169,

Yet having SC at least on paper still is a bit tempting, complete solution with very bright screen for these sunny days.

Now it seems to be impossible to buy old SC new, used ones still go for like 500 and the new one works only with m3 only (atm) and is so expensive that is out of question for me. So technically the best way to get SC for your Air2s is buy the combo.

And there are all the issues reported with Air2s and SC putting me a bit off really, Do you think it is something that Dji can and will resolve any soon?

I have seen somewhere that DJi updated spec on their website stating that the stock RC is Occu 3 capable and it switches between modes depending on drone? if that’s the case this makes buying SC even less appealing, Can you guys confirm ?

Think I am going for fly more with stock RC and tbh I am quite happy with my note 10+ even if its not the brightest phone on the planet, just need some one to tell me “forget SC not worth it !” :)

On a side note, I recon I will need CofC for my air2s ? Atm I got all that is required to fly my mini2 comfortable, I understand will need some certification to be able to fly air2s with similar restrictions as mini2 ?
Concerning the Smart Controller, I'd buy a TriplTek tablet. I've heard some people who like the Smart Controller and others who think it's from hell. For me personally, it was annoying. I couldn't download many apps, and the ones I could didn't work well/at all. The TriplTek is brighter than the Smart Controller, the 7 is around the same price (the 8 a bit more expensive), and it's able to be used for other things than piloting a drone. For me personally, that's the way to go, however, for some, the Smart Controller meets their needs.

Reactions: Sjkieffer
@Triggus which ever model you choose you will need the A2 C of C to fly it in the A 2 group of the open category ,and to be able to enjoy the reduced separation distances that a C rated drone will afford after the end of 2022,you will also need to have the A2 C of C ,unfortunately the A2s will become a legacy drone at the end of 2022 ,so it will be in the A3 group of the open category with very limited areas to be flown in
another way around the restrictions is to obtain the GVC, which means that you then can fly the majority of legacy drones in the specific category in 2023 up to 25 kg

Thanks guys,
If I understand correctly to be able to fly air2s some 50 meters from people from Jan 2023 I will need quite costly GVC ?
THey don't make it easier do they ? Why, knowing the changes coming new or nearly new models of drones aren't classed properly by manufacturers or aren't included in legislation if they fit, they already there with known specs and capabilities........
Think of the "poor" mavic 3 owners that just have their shiny new expensive "toys" delivered :)
anyway I am going to get my Cofc asap.

@Triggus with regards to the UK YT videos appearing on the subject of the Mavic 3 ,nearly all of them are from professional drone flyers ,they will have a GVC, so they will still be able to fly them in the specific category after 2022 ,i would expect that DJI will eventually give the Mavic 3 a C rating mark towards the end of 2022 to comply with the new rules ,but of course this will depend on whether they think it will be worth it, to comply with and pass ,the DoT and CAA committee
that will be set up to implement the C rating system

Speaking of tablets did any one tried any of those "cheap" rugged 8 inch tablets offered in China on Alibaba ?
These claiming to be 1k nits, on paper good spec, not sure if they come with compass,
half price or less of Triptek hence the curiosity but buying anything like that is kind of a leap of faith, you never know what you really got and how it will behave.

Thanks guys,
If I understand correctly to be able to fly air2s some 50 meters from people from Jan 2023 I will need quite costly GVC ?
THey don't make it easier do they ? Why, knowing the changes coming new or nearly new models of drones aren't classed properly by manufacturers or aren't included in legislation if they fit, they already there with known specs and capabilities........
Think of the "poor" mavic 3 owners that just have their shiny new expensive "toys" delivered :)
anyway I am going to get my Cofc asap.
Or you can fly under Article 16 if you’re a member of one of the 4 flying clubs

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11