DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Urban range and altitudes

johntree101

Reactions
I understand the range is 7km in perfect conditions. What is the typical range in a city/urban area? Would it be able to hover at 20 feet at a distance of 2 km's away, or is it pretty much impossible to fly at that sort of altitude because of all the homes and trees between (in a dense neighbourhood).

That's about right. The signal is line of sight only, not around corners. Over water or flat land maybe, but not when structures are in the way.

Reactions: johntree101
You can expect 1 km to 1.5
But you need to launch it from a good place
But don't forget you can't fly over people
I flew it from my window and getting 1.5 km in a urban terrain but many signal wornings
The best range is till 1km

I understand the range is 7km in perfect conditions. What is the typical range in a city/urban area? Would it be able to hover at 20 feet at a distance of 2 km's away, or is it pretty much impossible to fly at that sort of altitude because of all the homes and trees between (in a dense neighbourhood).

Taking off from my home in a subdivision I can get about 9000ft (~1.7km) out before losing signal totally. But, if I ride a half mile to the local baseball park, I can go farther out. I guess because I'm not as close to so many WiFi routers. I'm in USA on FCC power output 400mw.

Last edited:
Radio LoS (repeat x 10) is the trick. Depends IF things will interfere. You can fly over a metro area and still have 4 miles.

Radio LoS (repeat x 10) is the trick. Depends IF things will interfere. You can fly over a metro area and still have 4 miles.

I almost want to build myself a mini deer stand thingy to sit in while controlling the drone, just to get above fences and rooftops lol.
Or maybe a lookout post in my attic.

I almost want to build myself a mini deer stand thingy to sit in while controlling the drone, just to get above fences and rooftops lol.
Or maybe a lookout post in my attic.
Some people have built an antenna system on a pole and brought the wires inside to clear stuff.
I can confirm even in CE mode and LoS conditions 7km is possible.

Reactions: cderoche
Some people have built an antenna system on a pole and brought the wires inside to clear stuff.
I can confirm even in CE mode and LoS conditions 7km is possible.

Even better, like the vehicle external antenna idea in that other thread.

I flew my MPP 2Km today (CE mode) in urban built area (no sky scrapers, only houses etc.) Note: I flew at an altitude of about 50m along a "greenbelt" that runs through out neighbourhood, so never crossed over any private property or public spaces where people could be in danger of a falling drone. I was also technically LOS, although I stopped seeing my MPP about 250m away ;)

Update on above: I flew my MPP 4,52KM today in CE mode. Had to turn back due to battery (flew downwind), the remote had 4 out of 5 bars signal (HD and remote signal)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara