DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Urgent Help please Mavic Controller?

Badgersurfer

Reactions
I have just purchased a Mavic Pro Platinum Combo and could really use some help here. I have just upgraded my phone to a Samsung A51 and the DJIGo4 software seems fine. I haven't actually flown the Mavic yet (I am a seasoned RC and Whoop flyer and so that is not an issue) as I was intending to buy a DJI Smart controller. Then after I purchased the drone I discovered the Smart controller doesn't work with my model.
So I then watched a guru on youtube who said that the iphone is rock solid as a controller (for obvious reasons) and that I would be better off having a dedicated iphone rather than a phone running loads of apps. I totally get that.
So here is my current dilemma... my new Samsung A51 will probably be fine but I have noticed that when I run the DJIGo4 software there are a series of icons on the very left hand border. Because the screen display is edge to edge it is difficult to touch these as the controller phone mounting arms almost cover them when the phone is mounted.
This doesn't seem to be a problem on the iphone as the screen starts inboard from the edge allowing you to touch the who program area.
So I have figured I would buy a second hand unlocked iphone from eBay (I have seen and iphone 7 plus around £200) and dedicate it to the drone.

Here's my main question???
Can you put me straight please... If I get an iphone dedicated to the controller and the Mavic Pro Platinum will I lose any functionality if I don't have a sim card in it? The reason I ask is because I don't want to pay for another phone contract.
Also which would be the best iphone model to get?

You definitely dont need another phone contract. You may want to consider a used dedicated iPad mini. The larger screen is wonderful and a mini will fit in the arms of the standard controller. No contract needed. There is mention that GPS is needed, which only the cellular capable ipads have. Buy Im not sure if it is true that the GPS is needed since the Mavic has GPS. And you still dont need a contract for the GPS to work. Its the setup I use (cell capable iPad mini, no contract).

Last edited:
Reactions: hiflyer201
You definitely dont need another phone contract. You may want to consider a used dedicated iPad mini. The larger screen is wonderful and a mini will fit in the arms of the standard controller. No contract needed. There is mention that GPS is needed, which only the cellular capable ipads have. Buy Im not sure if it is true that the GPS is needed since the Mavic has GPS. And you still dont beed a contract for the GPS to work. Its the setup I use (cell capable iPad mini, no contract).
Thanks for that you have made my day. DJI online support did actually confirm I could run without a cellular connection between me asking this post, but they could not confirm if the maps work in the DJI Go 4 software as they were only the pre sales team. I have a Samsung Android Tab A 8.5 inch that is not sim supported so I could try this to see if the maps still work by connecting it and standing the drone outside.
Could you tell me does your ipad mini fit in the controller phone clamps or do you have to mount it another way? Also what model is your mini please?

Last edited:
Hi, Yes the mini fits right into the controller clamps (iPad Mini 4). Its tight, but there are little cut outs for the corners of the mini to extend into the controller arms. Made for it.

And, yeah, I didnt think about the maps. May need checking out to see if you can get them without GPS.

IMG_7851.jpgIMG_7852.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Badgersurfer
welcome to the forum

I also have an iPad mini 4 with WiFi only and if I need to update maps on site I turn on my phones hotspot and use the WiFi to do the up date.
Then shut off the hot spot and fly. I have up dated to a smart controler and use that 90% of the time but there are cases that I still use the mini.

I agree with Roger_that with respect to wifi only mini iPad. I have the iPad mini 5 and makes a big difference over using my smart phone with these tired old eyes. Caching maps before flying is easy and takes very little time.

You definitely dont need another phone contract. You may want to consider a used dedicated iPad mini. The larger screen is wonderful and a mini will fit in the arms of the standard controller. No contract needed. There is mention that GPS is needed, which only the cellular capable ipads have. Buy Im not sure if it is true that the GPS is needed since the Mavic has GPS. And you still dont need a contract for the GPS to work. Its the setup I use (cell capable iPad mini, no contract).
You definitely do need GPS if you want to return to RC. The RC location is the phone/tablet location. I found this out to my cost when I bought an Amazon Fire - brilliant but with no GPS I could not RTH to RC essential for my sailing flights! Had to buy another tablet with GPS.

Hi, Yes the mini fits right into the controller clamps (iPad Mini 4). Its tight, but there are little cut outs for the corners of the mini to extend into the controller arms. Made for it.

And, yeah, I didnt think about the maps. May need checking out to see if you can get them without GPS.

View attachment 94040View attachment 94039
I have taken your stuff on board and purchased a refurbished Ipad mini 4 128gb Wifi + 4g. So that should do the job. I figure I can tether it to my mobile if I need any updates although I presume I would do this back at base using PC and wifi as per normal.
I should be good to go now.

Reactions: SqFt
I also have an iPad mini 4 with WiFi only and if I need to update maps on site I turn on my phones hotspot and use the WiFi to do the up date.
Then shut off the hot spot and fly. I have up dated to a smart controler and use that 90% of the time but there are cases that I still use the mini.
You have me confused here. I was told in no uncertain terms by DJI that the Smart Controller did not work with the Mavic Pro... what drone are you using a Smart controller with?

BTW, DJI support told me to put the phone (if I was using one) into Flight mode so the cellular cannot interfere with the drone flight. So that pretty much sums up that you don't need a sim card...

You have me confused here. I was told in no uncertain terms by DJI that the Smart Controller did not work with the Mavic Pro... what drone are you using a Smart controller with?
Sorry, I have both Mavic Pro Platinum (MPP) and a Mavic Pro 2 (MP2). I use the Smart Controler (SC) with the MP2 and use the mini iPad with the MPP. I use the MP2 & SC 90% of the time, but when I do need to use the MPP or in some situations when the SC is not useable, I’ll switch back to the mini and original controler. The point is there are some instances I use the WiFi mini and regular controler.

Here's a useful reference vid' about caching maps ...

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803