DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Usèd batteries

Eagle430

Reactions
I found a few used batteries from an online shop for my air 2s drone at a good price, one battery has 1 recharge cycle,the other one has 6. Is there any risk of buying them in terms of reliability etc. ? They are original dji batteries

Simple answer...

You never know... this as charge cycles aren't the only thing that can put heavy wear on the battery.

Simple answer...

You never know... this as charge cycles aren't the only thing that can put heavy wear on the battery.
Any other indications that can tell if the battery is in bad condition ,apart from swelling?

I purchase used batteries from Ebay all the time. Once you receive one, You can check how many cycles the Battery has gone thru with the app.
Honest sellers will tell you Low, Mid, Or High cycles used but do your homework on the seller before you buy! I know of one used battery seller in L.A. That sells Hundreds of battries on Ebay They are DJI Batteries unless stated and he excepts returns.
Just do your homework and you will be fine.
An Air2S battery treated well should give you around 200 cycles more or less.

I purchase used batteries from Ebay all the time. Once you receive one, You can check how many cycles the Battery has gone thru with the app.
Honest sellers will tell you Low, Mid, Or High cycles used but do your homework on the seller before you buy! I know of one used battery seller in L.A. That sells Hundreds of battries on Ebay They are DJI Batteries unless stated and he excepts returns.
Just do your homework and you will be fine.
An Air2S battery treated well should give you around 200 cycles more or less.
The store is very reliable and reputable, they are honest about the batteries cycles. I am asking if there is anything else I should consider for a used battery? Such as how old is the battery? The store have one rated as new with only 1 cycle and another one with 5 cycles.

Reactions: Cafguy
Age May be a factor BUT the people selling these on Ebay test them first You will notice when you get the battery that it will be charged almost to 60 ( in my case anyway ) I Fly security and In total I have purchased around 150 Used Batteries for My Air2s I have had to send back Maybe 4 or 5.

Any other indications that can tell if the battery is in bad condition ,apart from swelling?
Besides charge cycles (which easily can be checked through the app once you have it in your possession) you can't say much about how it have been stored & in what state of charge... the manufacturing date of the battery can be checked trough the serial number.

But swelling is the only thing that can be seen on the outside... & there you need to be thorough, even the slightest bulging is a bad sign & that can maybe be hard to see out from just a picture.

Your best bet is to go on the sellers reputation & if they have some kind of return policy... as always when it comes to buying thing's second hand.

I found a few used batteries from an online shop for my air 2s drone at a good price, one battery has 1 recharge cycle,the other one has 6. Is there any risk of buying them in terms of reliability etc. ? They are original dji batteries
I've bought used batteries (guaranteed) from Adorama for my Matrice m30. They were accurate about the usage, but didn't show actual cycles. When you get these, check them right away in the drone to make sure the number of cycles match. Charge them fully and test fly them (put your bird in a low hover in a safe place and let them run down). Recharge and enjoy if there are no issues.
Check for swelling as usual or unusual temperatures when charging/discharging.
If the sellers accepts returns, you should be fine.

I’ve read that a “charge cycle” for a lithium battery is when a depleted battery is fully recharged.

Is that so when one of these batteries is recharged, or is anytime one of these is charged (hooked up) whether from 0% to 99%, count as a “recharge”?

(I understand that a battery completely discharged might be dead and unable to be “revived.”)

I’ve read that a “charge cycle” for a lithium battery is when a depleted battery is fully recharged.

Is that so when one of these batteries is recharged, or is anytime one of these is charged (hooked up) whether from 0% to 99%, count as a “recharge”?

(I understand that a battery completely discharged might be dead and unable to be “revived.”)
Apparently, a charge cycle is not counted if the battery is not charged above 90% - at least that's what the battery manual states for my Matrice and it seems to be accurate for my Mavic 3E and Mini 3 Pro.

I imagine DJI's thinking is that regular charging to 90% stresses the battery less so they don't count those recharges as "cycles". My controller will also tell me how many days the batteries have been at 100% - also an indication of higher wear.

When I'm cycling batteries for my Matrice at a high rate in the field while mapping for instance, the charger has a setting that brings the batteries to 90% or "ready to fly". The last 10% goes much slower to protect the batteries and in a search and rescue or surveying application, waiting for batteries to charge is a non-starter. It does this quickly enough that the batteries are ready to go before the batteries run out in the drone.

Before first flight of the day though, I do charge all my batteries to 100%. They were designed to be used and are rated for 200-300 cycles before DJI says they have reached the end of their life. Although, there are many pilots here who have way more time on their batteries than that - keeping an eye on charging rates, never letting them sit for too long, and watching cell voltages from time to time to make sure there are no discrepancies creeping in maximizes their life.

Last edited:
You do know that the cycle count can be reset, don't you? Not saying that there are unscrupulous people out there, just saying.

You do know that the cycle count can be reset, don't you? Not saying that there are unscrupulous people out there, just saying.
That's interesting - never seen that. I did a search and it appears that only older drone batteries are supported with the hardware/software setups. What's your experience?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor