DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA citizen drone flying in India

echen2323

Reactions
my family is traveling to several locations this summer from the USA, including Japan, Bali, Singapore, Nepal, and India. i plan on bringing my DJI Mini Pro 4, that weighs 249g.

i have read that drone flying in India is not permitted for foreigners (im a Canadian, rest of family is USA).

is this true? can i even bring the drone in my luggage since i plan on using it in other countries?

thank you

• Wow
Reactions: Cafguy
DO NOT TRY!
Attempting to bring a drone into India Will get you 2 years in an Indian Prison! and a 4 Thousand U.S. dollar Fine!

Last edited:
Some recent information here:

Reactions: NoBozos and Cafguy
Some recent information here:
Read This Thumbswayup

DO NOT TRY!
Attempting to bring a drone into India Will get you 2 years in an Indian Prison! and a 4 Thousand U.S. dollar Fine!
I concur. Tried to get approval to use a Phantom 4 in Bihar State, India for a University Research Project and was accused of being a spy. Maybe I didn't pass enough Rupees in a brown paper bag, under the table!
Neville
Australia

can i bring the drone into the country even if i dont plan on flying it? i dont know what to do about it since we be coming from nepal and going to dubai after india. i dont need to fly the drone in india, but it will be with me in my luggage.

My research has said that you need to get "prior authorization" I believe by getting a UIN number but after a few back and forth emails with Digital Sky I need an Indian telephone number to even set up an account. That is where my patience ended and I'm leaving my drone at home. If someone has more info I would like to hear it. Headed to Kolkata tomorrow.

I arrived in India last 21 January 2024 and although I did not bring my drone, the aircraft PA clearly said that Indian customs consider drones as "prohibited" items and should be declared/disclosed to customs upon arrival.

I do not know though if it is a total prohibition, i.e. illegal, and thus subject to confiscation OR prohibited meaning you cannot use it if you do not have a permit but you can secure a permit at the arrival airport.

im reading this---You are permitted to carry a drone with you into India on a plane, provided that you have prior permission from the Department of Telecommunication to operate in a dedicated frequency band (WPC Wing). A drone without this authorization will be confiscated and returned.

does anyone know where this website is?

My research has said that you need to get "prior authorization" I believe by getting a UIN number but after a few back and forth emails with Digital Sky I need an Indian telephone number to even set up an account. That is where my patience ended and I'm leaving my drone at home. If someone has more info I would like to hear it. Headed to Kolkata tomorrow.
You are right . Without having a valid uin you can not fly in india .
Better to hire a drone . If need any help regarding drones in india you can dm me . I am from india and working as a freelance drone operator (DGCA Certified drone operator ) having multiple drones with uin .

im reading this---You are permitted to carry a drone with you into India on a plane, provided that you have prior permission from the Department of Telecommunication to operate in a dedicated frequency band (WPC Wing). A drone without this authorization will be confiscated and returned.

You can visit https://digitalsky.dgca.gov.in

Being

A foreigner you wil never get permission from deptt. Of telecommunication or from DGCA .
Being a licenced drone operator having uin for all my drones i also face some issues while flying for govt. Projects

yea the problem is that i am going from country and country and will have drone with me....i dont plan on using in india, but i need to keep with me. has anyone heard of if the india airports confiscating a nano drone from a foreigner? upon my exhaustive research, i havent heard of anyone getting them confiscated. more reason for confiscation is flying in unrestricted areas.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986