DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB C port - cable wiggle

mr.omar

Reactions
Hey guys and gals

I’ve just received a Smart Controller and noticed that the USB C cable wiggles slightly when in plugged into the controller. The connection seems fine, though.

Is this normal?

Thanks all

Hey guys and gals

I’ve just received a Smart Controller and noticed that the USB C cable wiggles slightly when in plugged into the controller. The connection seems fine, though.

Is this normal?

Thanks all
Might be a symptom of the port in the controller being loose. Let’s see what Others say, but I would be contacting DJI.

Do you have other USB-C devices that might allow you to compare with? They will all have some permissible movement when the cable is properly inserted.

Do you have other USB-C devices that might allow you to compare with? They will all have some permissible movement when the cable is properly inserted.

That’s a good point, WithTheBirds! The only other USB-C device is I have are my MacBook and iMac, but the ports (which are technically Thunderbolt, but same as USB-C) are very slim and have quite low tolerances for the plug. I realise Apple are generally like that with tolerances.

Maybe it’s just that amount of permissible movement. Hopefully it is! It doesn’t move a lot, just allows a bit of wiggle. Could be that my experience of the Apple Thunderbolt ports made me expect a tighter fit!

I don’t know how you expect to get to in arriving at any level of comfort comparing your own and others subjective assessments. All USB-C connections I have available to me have some movement discernible when applying vertical and sideways force to the connectors. It would seem normal and expected.

The official specifications provide some assistance. If we add the maximum permissible tolerances for cable end and socket dimensions we arrive at close to .1mm all around as being permissible. There are springs in the socket that will take up any slack and as you would expect deform when pressure is applied in your wiggling tests.

558141DD-106C-4F3C-95C5-613621FBF98D.jpegF69382A6-DFB5-42E3-89D4-A3E90742F9C6.jpeg

I suspect you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: W2EJ and THE CYBORG
So different tolerances in manufacture by different manufacturers will give a different fit.
A different cable could well be either a tighter or looser fit.

As long as the port itself isn't loose then as WithTheBirds says you have nothing to worry about

I don’t know how you expect to get to in arriving at any level of comfort comparing your own and others subjective assessments. All USB-C connections I have available to me have some movement discernible when applying vertical and sideways force to the connectors. It would seem normal and expected.

The official specifications provide some assistance. If we add the maximum permissible tolerances for cable end and socket dimensions we arrive at close to .1mm all around as being permissible. There are springs in the socket that will take up any slack and as you would expect deform when pressure is applied in your wiggling tests.

View attachment 81291View attachment 81292

I suspect you have nothing to worry about.

Hi WithTheBirds,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a thorough and detailed explanation. I really appreciate that. Much more useful than a subjective perspective.

It would appear that the 0.1mm would translate to more of a wiggle at the other end of the plug due to leverage. It’s not huge, but was noticeable.

Thanks again

So different tolerances in manufacture by different manufacturers will give a different fit.
A different cable could well be either a tighter or looser fit.

As long as the port itself isn't loose then as WithTheBirds says you have nothing to worry about

Thanks Cyborg, that definitely makes sense. Much appreciated!

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slitsling69