DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Usb charge point on Mini controller

Jaflonpink

Reactions
Hi guys
I’m new to this forum having just purchased a mini combo. Years ago I tried unsuccessfully to fly model helicopters.?
I cannot understand why on the controller the video down link lead is oblong and the power port lead standard micro usb. I know they both share this same socket. The micro usb plug is quite difficult to insert and I fear damaging this socket over time. Is it possible to charge the controller using the video lead and leave this permanently connected, I use an iPhone so then I would need some sort of coupler to connect the male lightning plug to a standard USB.
Hope that makes sense, any help would be appreciated or am I worrying to much about damaging the controller.
Thank you ?

Yes, you have to be very careful with the micro usb plug fitting in the Micro-A port
Some people have broken the tab inside the port by inserting the micro usb plug upside down.

I guess the only way to fix this is to get a micro-A plug cable, but these are hard to find

Hi guys
I’m new to this forum having just purchased a mini combo. Years ago I tried unsuccessfully to fly model helicopters.?
I cannot understand why on the controller the video down link lead is oblong and the power port lead standard micro usb. I know they both share this same socket. The micro usb plug is quite difficult to insert and I fear damaging this socket over time. Is it possible to charge the controller using the video lead and leave this permanently connected, I use an iPhone so then I would need some sort of coupler to connect the male lightning plug to a standard USB.
Hope that makes sense, any help would be appreciated or am I worrying to much about damaging the controller.
Thank you ?
That is one of the mysteries of DJI products. Why would they choose to use such an odd connector that can and has caused people to damage the connector by inserting the cable the wrong way? I believe it has to do with the specifications for using OTG cables, but still doesn't totally make sense because other than the Spark, we don't need to use an OTG cable for our drones.

In any case, if you are careful and remember which way to insert the cable, it becomes much less of a problem. However, to make certain you don't have the issue, you could also use a magnetic-tip USB cable. You leave the tip in the port permanently and just snap the cable on and off very easily any time you need it.

Here is one example on Amazon

I have the same anxiety of plugging in the cable the wrong way around. So, I put a small dot of red paint (sticker would do) on the top of the cable plug so I can instantly recognize the correct position for insertion.
Hope this tip helps.
cheers

Hi guys
Thank you for your help and suggestions, I quite like the magnetic lead suggestion but I cannot find one that I can charge the controller and connect to my Apple phone, unless you know different ?

Hi guys
Thank you for your help and suggestions, I quite like the magnetic lead suggestion but I cannot find one that I can charge the controller and connect to my Apple phone, unless you know different ?

The cord should be able to be used with any end plug, you just have to get one that has both the micro usb and apple phone plug (usb-c or lightining).

What I found with the magnetic lead is that the micro-A port in the Mavic Mini is very loose so the end plug just pulls out like a normal plug, as the magnet is too strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaflonpink
That is one of the mysteries of DJI products. Why would they choose to use such an odd connector that can and has caused people to damage the connector by inserting the cable the wrong way? I believe it has to do with the specifications for using OTG cables, but still doesn't totally make sense because other than the Spark, we don't need to use an OTG cable for our drones.

In any case, if you are careful and remember which way to insert the cable, it becomes much less of a problem. However, to make certain you don't have the issue, you could also use a magnetic-tip USB cable. You leave the tip in the port permanently and just snap the cable on and off very easily any time you need it.

Here is one example on Amazon
If look carefully at the micro end of the USB charge cable and the micro plyou’ll see the
Hi guys
Thank you ?
if you look really very closely In good light, at the micro opening on the remote and the micro end of the USB charge cable, you’ll see the matching orientation needed to plug in the cable. Once you know just mark the white plug so “up” is always correct.

Hi guys
Thank you ?
When I had a Mini, I hot glued the controller cable and also used an OTG splitter. See the pic.

Attachments

• Mini OTG.jpg
    Mini OTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
I was perplexed by this port and am also concerned by the fragility of it. The best advice I can offer is to designate one charging cable and put a mark on the top with marker or nail polish so it takes less focus to get the orientation right. Second, always make the connection in decent light so you don’t screw up and break the port.

I was perplexed by this port and am also concerned by the fragility of it. The best advice I can offer is to designate one charging cable and put a mark on the top with marker or nail polish so it takes less focus to get the orientation right. Second, always make the connection in decent light so you don’t screw up and break the port.
I had problems with this port on my MP controller and was dissapointed to see it on the mini conrtoller so immediately started looking for a good solution to the problem. I mostly use a tablet to fly the drone so needed a longer cable. I found the 8 1.4 inch cable below which, for me, was the perfect solution. It is designed to fit the mini controller and fits nice and snug. Both phones and tablets I use to fly have a type C usb port so I almost nevver pemove the cable from the controller. To charge the controller I use a female to female C adapter and just use a regular type A to C male to male charging cable to connect to the usb charger. Ther are type A male to type C charging cables available but I find the adapter more convenient as I always have one of the regular charging cables available.

The 8 inch cable is a bit long when using a phone to fly but is actualy easier to connect than the short DJI supplyed cable as I just clamp in the phone and then plug in the right angle male C end of the cable. When not in use, to protect the cable and port, I route the cable under the folded arms of the controller which leaves about 1 1/2 inches of the cable exposed on the right side of the controller. The controller still fits nicely in the DJI casse that comes in the Fly More package.

Below is a link to the subject cable available on Amazon for $6.99.

Hanatora Micro-AB to USB-C 8.14 Inch Remote Controller Cable for DJI Mavic Mini/Mavic 2 Pro/Mavic 2 Zoom/Mavic Air/Mavic Pro Platinum,OTG Nylon Braided Type c Tablet Data Cord (Type-C Connector) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SMQ4L97/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_kS5cFbRGRYT0T mini controller 2.jpg

I had problems with this port on my MP controller and was dissapointed to see it on the mini conrtoller so immediately started looking for a good solution to the problem. I mostly use a tablet to fly the drone so needed a longer cable. I found the 8 1.4 inch cable below which, for me, was the perfect solution. It is designed to fit the mini controller and fits nice and snug. Both phones and tablets I use to fly have a type C usb port so I almost nevver pemove the cable from the controller. To charge the controller I use a female to female C adapter and just use a regular type A to C male to male charging cable to connect to the usb charger. Ther are type A male to type C charging cables available but I find the adapter more convenient as I always have one of the regular charging cables available.

The 8 inch cable is a bit long when using a phone to fly but is actualy easier to connect than the short DJI supplyed cable as I just clamp in the phone and then plug in the right angle male C end of the cable. When not in use, to protect the cable and port, I route the cable under the folded arms of the controller which leaves about 1 1/2 inches of the cable exposed on the right side of the controller. The controller still fits nicely in the DJI casse that comes in the Fly More package.

Below is a link to the subject cable available on Amazon for $6.99.

Hanatora Micro-AB to USB-C 8.14 Inch Remote Controller Cable for DJI Mavic Mini/Mavic 2 Pro/Mavic 2 Zoom/Mavic Air/Mavic Pro Platinum,OTG Nylon Braided Type c Tablet Data Cord (Type-C Connector) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SMQ4L97/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_kS5cFbRGRYT0T View attachment 107641

With my Moto x4 the dji cable was to short (it needed to be upside down to work).

I bought his exact cable and it fits both ends perfect and works woth both phones i use.. I too leave in mostly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+