DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use of M2ED for recreational shoots

shehant2009

Reactions
How useful is the M2ED for recreational shoots? I know it doesn't have lot of the same features of its Mavic 2 pro cousin, and most of the reviews focus on its enterprise applications. Can someone tell me more about its usability as a recreational drone? I plan to have 50/50 monitoring and recreational use and really don't want to buy two drones if one can cover both.

Thanks

I bought a Dual following months of M2 Pro/Zoom research, including the glossy vids of the drone tracking the car around the corner etc. Then the Dual was released and I decided to go for it there and then, in the mistaken belief that it could only be an enhancement of the Pro or Zoom. Then i realized i had to use the Pilot app, which I've seen described as Go4 with all the fun features extracted. It is.
Litchi claims partial compatibilty with the Dual. I paid for it the other day, and yes there was basic control. Haven't had time to check things like Active track yet.
With hindsight i would buy a Zoom instead and look for 3rd party devices to replicate whichever part of the Dual i felt i missed.
And have some fun whilst doing it.!

I bought a Dual following months of M2 Pro/Zoom research, including the glossy vids of the drone tracking the car around the corner etc. Then the Dual was released and I decided to go for it there and then, in the mistaken belief that it could only be an enhancement of the Pro or Zoom. Then i realized i had to use the Pilot app, which I've seen described as Go4 with all the fun features extracted. It is.
Litchi claims partial compatibilty with the Dual. I paid for it the other day, and yes there was basic control. Haven't had time to check things like Active track yet.
With hindsight i would buy a Zoom instead and look for 3rd party devices to replicate whichever part of the Dual i felt i missed.
And have some fun whilst doing it.!

Yeah. this is what I'm worried about. Also, I think if something happens while flying with Litchi, I saw that DJI won't honor the warranty.

I have almost considered going for the Mavic 2 Pro first and then waiting for the Parrot Anafi Thermal one as a second no-fun drone. While it has no collision avoidance, I guess if it's only for work, I can be more careful with it since the usage periods would be short and more planned.

Reactions: Dronage
I think it all depends what your ‘recreational’ use is. First, one of the very few purposes for the M2ED is a basic attempt for SAR. A second one is solar panel inspection, though I doubt this was the original purpose, it just happens to be very good at it. The most important feature of the M2ED is the integration of the normal camera and the flir one. But this basic flir can’t do zoom, so (I suppose) instead of give massive warnings not to use the flir whilst in any sort of zoom, they just disabled the zoom. Back to your recreational use; if this is just flying and taking scenic pictures for the family, why not, it will handle it. But if ever you want to do a tiny bit of zoom, or any intelligent flight mode, then the M2ED won’t do ... I’ve got a M2ED for business use only and a M2Z for anything else.

I was hoping for some intelligent flight modes like "follow-me" etc. but I guess as long as I can get some scenic shoots at 4K I'll be happy with it.

How good is it at detecting hot spots and other defects on solar modules/strings?
this is my intended industrial use. I've seen one video on youtube where they saw some hotspots, but I haven't seen if these were actually verified by following up with module level testing.

Well summed up Bob..!
For me as a newcomer to the world of drones the Dual itself is fantastic...better than I thought it was going to be, and expectations had been high.! The problem is all in the Pilot app and its lack of intelligent flight modes, coupled with the utter lack of Dji promotional differenciation between Pilot and Go4...
If i could ever get out of work i will be trying the modes in Litchi with fingers crossed lol..

I've taken the plunge and bought the M2ED last Friday. Need to find an open field and get the hang of things before I let it roam over solar modules.

Good man..! You'll not be disappointed..!
And if u actually want to have a bit of fun with it as opposed to rescuing people and er ummm detecting heat signatures, i am delighted to report that my newly acquired litchi works well with the Dual.....it's not total support, but litchi tells me they are working on that..
Don't crash the bugger.!

haha I hope not, after shelling out double the price of the Mavic 2 Pro!!!
It seems that the Dual is not aggressively marketed in Asia. In China it's near impossible for an individual to get it with the DJI flagship store telling that the buyer needs to be a company and sign an enterprise agreement DJI. I finally got mine in Singapore and even there only one place had it.

Hi Dronage,

I am wondering what features Litchi adds over Pilot to operating the Dual? I would like to have the one where the aircraft circles an object at a fixed radius, maintaining focus on the center point.

Hi Al..
Sorry, been regular working a lot..!
Cards on the table.. I do not know either platform well enough to advise, but I would think litchi would be the more likely to provide.. Even with pilot's recent update..

Is the Dual standard color 4k camera as good as a M1p/Zoom, or is it a different sensor?

That's a good question that I never got an answer for.. Its not as as good as the pro, but I think it might compare to the zoom.. And u get those brilliant flir shots...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190630_134518_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20190630_134518_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    680.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20190630_134459_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20190630_134459_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20190624_104137_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20190624_104137_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 23
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals