DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a drone to retrieve a drone?

My guess is something like fish line around the body and held with tape to prevent it from wandering…that’s what I would do. My main concern regarding the lift was to emphasize to NOT attach to the arms…if you do the weight of the drone could possibly pull the arms out of alignment and Bobs your uncle…we now have two drones down.
Okay, gotcha. I thought you were referring to the drone being rescued.

I found a location off from a shopping center with an abandoned Gym - closed due to the pandemic. The location is separated from businesses as it is the last building on the street with a wide landscape area between the next viable building. So, it is isolated from the main shopping area and there is a broad area of uncultivated land off from this site that I am considering taking some aerial videos. There are no "No Trespassing signs." I noticed landscape folks mowing the grass and keeping the property in decent shape and in the latest excursion there was one lone skateboarder using the parking lot. On that excursion, I attempted to get some shots/videos of the sunset but have no filters to get a good view of the sunset. If I can locate a set of about three filters I may be able to take more viable videos. The Mini 2 hovers over the landing pad in the parking lot and does not fly out from it, but instead, I test winds at 80 to 200 feet elevations, and as it is rotated 360 degrees and from those views, I am scoping the vacant land nearby.

Since the flights are precariously in proximity to the building if I venture out to examine the terrain what if the Mini 2 drops on the roof of that building? That is a question for our local drone flyers’ group, but what are your views about recovery if the mini 2 lands on the roof and I cannot bring it back with the controller?
Most of the property that I can see from videos does not seem even to be fenced, but instead, berms have been built up, probably for water runoff.

Are there hooks that could be used by another drone pilot to recover the Mini 2 if it crashes on a flat top roof of a business building? Does anyone know if this has been done?

About a simple fishing hook for your drone.

Easily bend a piece of 1.6mm stainless welding wire - (from you local welding supplier) Using pliers to bend to suit your drone, cover ends and center, with heat shrink. (See photo attached)

Attach about 3"loop in fishing line to your drone while hovering just in front of head height and pointing in the direction required. Make sure the weight on the end of the line is well clear of the sensors or disconnect them so they do not react.

When over target (fishing spot or other) just rotate drone 180 so it points back to you and the line will easily disengage from the drone and be in the hands of the fisherman. please remove the hook from the your drone when finished, to avoid damage.

I also attach a miniature anchor with 3 or 4 hooking arms (made of the same stainless welding wire) to the end of the line and by skillfully operating your drone you can lower the hook under whatever you are rescuing and retrieve it. (Providing the drone can handle the weight of course)

Super easy and super simple - I have proven this many times - it really works!

Attachments

• DSCN2294.JPG
    DSCN2294.JPG
    442.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2295.v01.jpg
    DSCN2295.v01.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2312.v01.jpg
    DSCN2312.v01.jpg
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 6
One of the best ideas I have seen so far is the use of a strong Neo Magnet to pick up a drone .
Strong enough magnet to lift from motor would be definitely best when environment of drone to be saved is non-magnetic.
It would basically fine guide itself unlike need to get some hook made from clothes hanger to right place.
But any metal objects would be problem and metal roof the worst.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998