DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using cheap VR goggle in non-vr mode as a sunshield with DJI Fly

GeorgieDrone

Reactions
Has anyone used one of those inexpensive VR headset (google cardboard type) in a non VR mode? Simply as an effective sunshield when using DJI Fly (or Go)? If yes did you need to remove the lenses from the headset? What happens if you don't? I know that the smartphone would be close to your eyes but I have some super strong reading glasses and if I wear them I can see my phone's screen clearly from 4 ~ 6 inches away. Then one would only need a data cable long enough and... it should work?

I think I know what you're asking, but if I do, using a VR headset I don't think would really work unless you have super close-up vision because you'd have to get so close to the screen with our without lenses that you wouldn't be able to focus. IMO it is a lot easier to build your own screen EXTENEDED shade which you can do with cardboard, gaffers tape and some velcro. You start with a standard lens shade, then build your extender shape around it. I used cardboard from a 12 pack of soda,then covered it with black gaffers tape, adding velcro to the bottom and top portions. It added about 8" or more to the screen. However still being that close I installed a pair of temple-less reading glasses that I could flip up or down to adjust my eyes' inability to adjust at such short distances. It worked quite well, but was a little time consuming to set up. I looked for a photo of my home-made rig, but couldn't find it right away. If I come across it I will post it again.

IMO what you do not want to do is get stuck in a headset with or without lenses. Flying cheap VR is a whole 'nother thing which I've covered in other posts.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22