DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Mavic as a spotting scope

No reason we can’t hang a balloon, is there? The downdraft should keep the 550 cord down, I would think.
I'd try that, but I'd still want to use his drone. I think he wanted something like a towed gunnery target in a war movie.

Got to be careful with longString getting in the props when coming down or in any kind of wind

Reactions: Doug D
I fly my 3DR Solo with a ham radio payload. The 2 meter radio antenna is 3 foot long piece of mini coax connected to a J-pole (wire) antenna. A little heavier than a balloon and string, but no problems once airborne. Manual landings only though. I have to lay the antenna down and move the aircraft forward while descending. You'll probably want to add a few lead sinkers to the end of the string to keep it vertical. You can see the coax in this picture.

img_0973.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Porkroast
did this once with clay pigeons from 15' of string --- super fun stuff! you look like you know what you are doing - but for those that don't --- make sure you have a good backstop - unpopulated hill, cliff, high embankment --- rounds go a LONG way!

Anyone else try using their Mavic as a spotting tool for long range shooting? I loaned my Nightforce spotting scope out a couple of weeks ago and needed it yesterday, and suddenly realized I had a great way to check my 600 yard target . I put my Mavic in a hover about 20 feet to the side of my target, then got down on my .300WM and shot a group. Works great!

Made me think of maybe using it to carry a light mover, like a balloon on a long piece of string. That could be good fun

I would think having to change the battery every 20 minutes (really?) would be a pain. Plus if there were other shooters, they might think it was 'distracting...'

I can see my impacts out to 800 yds through my optic but am going to try it at 1k. My spotter can easily see that far, but mirage makes it impossible certain times of year. Im not going to hover it there while firing...just check my shot placement afterwards. Mostly thinking about it because I have to drive through a swamp to get to my targets during the wet season and the drone might spare me from cleaning 200 lbs of mud off of my truck.

If you shoot steel you can see your impacts quite well at 1k yds. when conditions are good
d539c105ea183ef5e7301d480c944e79.jpg
9cc5450ef648abf57b69bbad4a228f37.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I fly my 3DR Solo with a ham radio payload. The 2 meter radio antenna is 3 foot long piece of mini coax connected to a J-pole (wire) antenna. A little heavier than a balloon and string, but no problems once airborne. Manual landings only though. I have to lay the antenna down and move the aircraft forward while descending. You'll probably want to add a few lead sinkers to the end of the string to keep it vertical. You can see the coax in this picture.

RK, Are you running APRS from it? Curious as to what kind of payload you use 2meters for.

I am using Hawke Vantage IR Riflescope and the scope (long range scope amazon) has 5 brightness settings for red and green illumination. Brightness setting enhances the reticle visibility in low light conditions. The scope is equipped with a Mil-Dot reticle; it has precise mil spacing at 10x with multiple aim points.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929