DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Polar Pro Katana

Reactions
Hey all,

I just got my Polar Pro Katana today, and so far, I'm feeling like it was a waste of money. :(

It's fine in terms of handling, but it seems like you can't really point upwards with it. Is there something I'm doing wrong? A setting I need to change to make it so the gimbal just points straight ahead, regardless of how the drone is pointing? I also noticed a lot of vibrations in my video, despite ND filters.

I also noticed a lot of vibrations in my video, despite ND filters.

This statement makes no sense - can you explain what you mean? An ND filter is just a piece of grey glass that reduces the light getting to the camera. It's ONLY use in video is to allow the use of lower frame rates (25fps for example) in bright lighting situations where you might otherwise not be able to do so. The downside to lower frame rates is that you will see more of a juddering effect with panning and other camera movement - is that what you mean? Smooth, slow panning will reduce the effect if so.

This statement makes no sense - can you explain what you mean? An ND filter is just a piece of grey glass that reduces the light getting to the camera. It's ONLY use in video is to allow the use of lower frame rates (25fps for example) in bright lighting situations where you might otherwise not be able to do so. The downside to lower frame rates is that you will see more of a juddering effect with panning and other camera movement - is that what you mean? Smooth, slow panning will reduce the effect if so.

People call ND filters "jello filters" because when you use them, you don't get jello. That was the case for me (I got new filters, and almost never had microvibrations/spasms/jello). A few days ago that changed (to where I was getting problems like I did before the filters), and when I looked at my Katana filter I saw lots of vibration.

I'll try to pull up an example video. I was walking reasonably slow and steady, didn't matter.

Can't wait to see the video. Your 'jello' description doesn't mean a thing I'm afraid. I've been doing photography for 45 years and I know exactly what an ND filter does and it ain't that!

All it does is let less light in, so if, for example, high light levels meant you were previously 'forced' to film at 60fps (which would deliver super smooth video), then fitting an ND filter would allow you to film at say 25fps, which everyone talks about being 'cinematic' but is actually decidedly jerky when panning at anything more than moderate speed, although with the camera steady, movement in frame isn't normally jerky.

I honestly don't know what this 'jello' thing is....

Been using the katana for a year now, the jello is from the gimbal not being balanced at 45 degrees or more vertically, ive had success pointing the gimbal down and raising it up, but it was hit or miss, not usuable for a long time.

horizontally at ground level, youll want to keep your elbows and your sides and your knees bent walking heel to toe, else the gimbal may shake, also the fitting of your ND plays a factor

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada