DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using waypoint missions to follow a construction project

fdewarren

Reactions
I've been using the same waypoints mission for more than 2 years to follow up the construction of this new tower building. I am having a hard time getting the done to fly exactly the same path over time.
What do you think? good job or room for improvement?

Construction follow up

Is that a morphing effect you are using for the transitions?
And how is Litchi waypoints mission more accurate that DJI built in waypoints?

I've been using the same waypoints mission for more than 2 years to follow up the construction of this new tower building. I am having a hard time getting the done to fly exactly the same path over time.
What do you think? good job or room for improvement?

Construction follow up

For me (and don't take this personally) it started out good but deviated from there. Here are my thoughts:

• 1) Don't mix several transitions into a single video. They end up taking your attention AWAY from the video and to the transition.
  • 2) (goes with #1) - Unless it's some type of Thriller or Action Film stay away from the overly dramatic transitions completely. Totally pulls the viewer out of the Virtual Reality experience.
  • 3) This type of video isn't a good fit for the FPV type of flying. I had a co-worker here watching it over my shoulder and she had to quit watching because the "barrel roll" of the FPV was too much on the large monitor. Cater to your audience and if the FPV lovers are your audience then you nailed it.
  • 4) Watch the video length. Unless it's very exciting/riveting most people lose interest in an Aerial Video after 60 seconds (less if it's boring). I made it to 1:31 which says a lot :)

I use LITCHI for this type of work and it works splendidly. I've never tried it using the DJI software because Litchi does it so well time and time again.

Is that a morphing effect you are using for the transitions?
And how is Litchi waypoints mission more accurate that DJI built in waypoints?
Yes - it is a morph transition in Adobe Premiere Pro.
I do prefer Litchi waypoints to DJI - but that goes back 3 years - DJI may now be just as good.
Once I started that project in late 2018, it seemed logical to continue with it through 2021.
This project is painfully slow but I think that the video makes it look like a quick turnaround.

I like both videos and have to admit both have given me some ideas I can incorporate into a local project here that I think the client will really like.

How often did each of you fly the site? I've got some that are every 2-weeks and some that are monthly.

I like both videos and have to admit both have given me some ideas I can incorporate into a local project here that I think the client will really like.

How often did each of you fly the site? I've got some that are every 2-weeks and some that are monthly.
I coordinated with the Contractor; some periods were 2 weeks, some less and others more depending upon the progress.
It's a 270 mile round trip from San Diego to Beverly Hills so I prefer to NOT go it there is no progress.
Another one you may find interesting; while shooting the construction, a guy came up to me and said he would like to hire me. He was a Producer with MTV and they would be having a pool party for the cast & crew from the series 'The Hills'. I've shot for a lot of film & TV projects, so I was glad to do it.
After shooting the aerials, I didn't feel like walking back down to my van for the OSMO or my XD-Cam, so I just removed the props and folded my Mavic Pro and carried it around as a hand-held camera. I think it worked pretty good!
BTW: At 25 sec you can see the construction project just down the hill. The compound at the top of that hill was for many years, the home of Katherine Hepburn but most homes in the area are celeb's.

Reactions: BigAl07
For me (and don't take this personally) it started out good but deviated from there. Here are my thoughts:

• 1) Don't mix several transitions into a single video. They end up taking your attention AWAY from the video and to the transition.
  • 2) (goes with #1) - Unless it's some type of Thriller or Action Film stay away from the overly dramatic transitions completely. Totally pulls the viewer out of the Virtual Reality experience.
  • 3) This type of video isn't a good fit for the FPV type of flying. I had a co-worker here watching it over my shoulder and she had to quit watching because the "barrel roll" of the FPV was too much on the large monitor. Cater to your audience and if the FPV lovers are your audience then you nailed it.
  • 4) Watch the video length. Unless it's very exciting/riveting most people lose interest in an Aerial Video after 60 seconds (less if it's boring). I made it to 1:31 which says a lot :)

I use LITCHI for this type of work and it works splendidly. I've never tried it using the DJI software because Litchi does it so well time and time again.
Thanks BigAl for the feedback.
I will definitely consider some changes as you mention. And don't worry about being straight, if I could not handle a good critic I would disable the comments on YouTube and stay away from the forums!!
I'm still trying to find a use for the recently acquired FPV as I learn to control it. It would be a shame not to use the possibilities it can offer like the rapid rate of climb/descent. But you're right, I should stay away from the acrobatics unless it is a specific FPV video.

What about this transition? When the FPV rolls from 2020 to 2021...

And then if you had to select a transition, which one works best? a fade, a slide? more examples
Sometimes I have to use different transitions to hide the fact that both videos don't really overlap... ;-)
Anyway, I'm not being paid for this stuff, I'm just having fun. In Cambodia so far there are a lot of huge construction projects which create dramatically different landscape changes every year and drone regulations are still being drafted.
Soon I might be limited by height and line of sight...
I am able to follow 2 airport construction projects which started from scratch! How many chances like this will I get?
See here Phnom Penh airport
Also, there is this 100 hectare backfill project for a city on the Mekong!

If you have time to watch these examples (the link takes you directly to the transition), I will value your feedback much more than the $3/month I can get from You Tube! ha ha ha

I think that "year" transition is interesting but it just depends on who your target audience is. It's a bit "dramatic" for a video made to document a construction project.

If this video was just a cool compilation to test your skills, techniques, and editing powers I think you did an outstanding job. I come from a Construction background and if this video was made to deliver to a client or to impress a construction client hoping to earn some future Construction Progress Tracking work I think you may have missed the point. If it's purely for entertainment then you did well.

In terms of transitions I've grown to sort of avoid them. I used to use them a lot when I started out but they are a bit gimmicky and could tend to scream "Newbie to editing" (No offense intended). If I use a transition it's a very minimal one at the most but I don't use many of them. I've just grown to not enjoy them personally. If I use one it's usually a "
Swipe" type and I stick with that same one each time I use one in the same video. Swipe Up/Down/Left/Right it doesn't matter I pick one and stick with it. I want them to notice the subject matter of the video not my collection of transitions.

Watch a TV show or something on TV. Most shows little to no transitions on most shows going from scene to scene but you will see some when going "out" to commercial etc. Of course some shows use lots of them but the same one or two. CSI Los Angeles is one that uses a pair of transitions, one going TO commercial and sometimes one coming FROM a commercial session. It's sort of a "Camera Shutter Sound & Graphic" which I actually used on a couple of videos but that was around 2014ish.

Keep in mind I'm Old School and from a more "boring construction" background so my points may be very narrow. Keep doing what you enjoy and HOW you enjoy doing it. Having FUN and being SAFE are really our primary goals in this hobby.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys