DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Waypoints

nicshow

Reactions
I’m a newbie so I apologize if this is obvious or has been covered elsewhere. I think I can use Waypoints during daylight hours to get my drone to safe spots for composing still pictures. I might want to have 2 or 3 or 4 pre-planned spots that I want to return to in late-light. What confuses me still is how do I program each of those way points so I can hover, compose and wait for good light until continuing to the next waypoint? If I hit pause, does that temporarily suspend the pre-programmed flight and then I can resume again? Or, what is the best approach?

First, you need a model that supports waypoint flight. This itself is a little complicated, so let's assume the drone you are using supports waypoint flight in DJI Fly.

Use waypoints derived from flying the plan. The process is covered in detail in the drone manual. For example pp. 40-45 of the Air 3 manual.

Go to each WP, stop and hover. Compose the shot (yaw, gimbal pitch), press C1 to capture the location and shot framing. Go to your next waypoint and repeat.

This can also be done off-line on the map, but you will need to set POIs also at each waypoint, and figuring out the POI height relative to your home point is hard, and requires you designate a launch point ahead of time.

Check out @DJ Wes Litchi Mission Utilities for some good tools to make the offline approach much easier.

Last edited:
So when I initially fly to set the waypoints, I just set the waypoint with no other options?

Take a look at the Air 3 manual, pp 40-45. The answer to this, and undoubtedly many other questions you'll have are there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Standng