DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 1 USSR Army legacy - Secret Spy Telescopes & Town "Zvyozdochka"

Proffy

Reactions
Located in woodlands near Irbene, in Ventspils Municipality, Latvia, the center was founded in 1974 by the Soviet military. It originally consisted of a 32-metre telescope, along with two smaller telescopes and a communications center, and was known as Zvyozdochka, meaning "Little Star". It was used by the KGB during the Cold War to spy on communications between Europe and the United States.

It became a scientific research facility in the 1990s, established on 22 July 1994 as part of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, before becoming an independent organisation on 24 April 1996. It is now known as the Ventspils International Radioastronomy Center or the Irbene Astronomy Center.

OZykrn6GjEY-n0RQXfk37NR7eAh0IYJ3gtEtebMPK_SmZ3pTed7Cqid-R8UCsx4sbwHKHLlH9RW_r6O-JwloK5QOpxJsPnFE7o2eROwGOT22iRHTRZI

It became a scientific research facility in the 1990s, established on 22 July 1994 as part of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, before becoming an independent organisation on 24 April 1996. It is now known as the Ventspils International Radioastronomy Center or the Irbene Astronomy Center.
Hi dmitrijs Very interesting location and explanation Proffy! I like such abandonnetd places, it´s somehow fascinating, thanks for showing us!...BTW, did you get the music files I sent you with WE Transfer?
have a nice day, cheers Paul

Reactions: Proffy
Nice video.. but I bet personal were extremely happy when their tour of duty was finished.

Located in woodlands near Irbene, in Ventspils Municipality, Latvia, the center was founded in 1974 by the Soviet military. It originally consisted of a 32-metre telescope, along with two smaller telescopes and a communications center, and was known as Zvyozdochka, meaning "Little Star". It was used by the KGB during the Cold War to spy on communications between Europe and the United States.

Good job ?

Super interesting Video, going to do more research on the internet as well.

Cool video. I've gone out a couple times to visit abandoned places, but only found piles of "chat."

Hi dmitrijs Very interesting location and explanation Proffy! I like such abandonnetd places, it´s somehow fascinating, thanks for showing us!...BTW, did you get the music files I sent you with WE Transfer?
have a nice day, cheers Paul

Thanks mate! Yeah I got your musuc. Thank you very much. Will check it tomorrow! Got a hangover today ???

Nice video.. but I bet personal were extremely happy when their tour of duty was finished.

Thanks! Yeah, but it was an easy job and they got lots of extras from government

Reactions: hiflyer201
The USSR posted there service people in all sorts of remote places. My wife was born in Kazakhstan as that was where her father was posted. I have a BIL who lives in Kamchatka (Look that up on google maps - about as isolated as you can get) posted there as a General in the Russian airforce.

The USSR posted there service people in all sorts of remote places. My wife was born in Kazakhstan as that was where her father was posted. I have a BIL who lives in Kamchatka (Look that up on google maps - about as isolated as you can get) posted there as a General in the Russian airforce.
Great story! Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98