DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Utah State Park Regulations

tcope

Reactions
Unconfirmed but from a good source:

Applies to Utah State Parks:

According to a ranger at Goblin Valley, a new drone policy across the Utah State Park system just took effect last week. At each park manager's discretion, they'll issue a $5 per day "drone permit" at the Visitor Center or entry gate upon request. No restrictions on flight, but this lets them know who's flying, allows them to limit "permits" and, of course, creates yet another revenue stream. All park managers have agreed to this except for Dead Horse Point, which is maintaining its previous window of allowable dates to fly.

I'd still recommend that you call a or check with a State Park ranger before you fly just to make sure what their policy is. Also, IMHO, Utah State Parks really seem to be on top of their game. Several parks already allowed drone use in their parks. Dead Horse was a little different in that they allowed drone use during winter months, when there were far fewer people. Makes perfect sense and shows that they were trying to accommodate everyone. On top of that, this is a map published by Dead Horse:

So in full disclosure, they even point out where you can launch from outside of their property. Other Utah State Parks have the same policy of allowing drone use during winter months (such as Antelope Island.. though, I think $15/day is a little steep).

According to a ranger at Goblin Valley, a new drone policy across the Utah State Park system just took effect last week. At each park manager's discretion, they'll issue a $5 per day "drone permit" at the Visitor Center or entry gate upon request. No restrictions on flight, but this lets them know who's flying, allows them to limit "permits" and, of course, creates yet another revenue stream. All park managers have agreed to this except for Dead Horse Point, which is maintaining its previous window of allowable dates to fly.

I'd still recommend that you call a or check with a State Park ranger before you fly just to make sure what their policy is. Also, IMHO, Utah State Parks really seem to be on top of their game. Several parks already allowed drone use in their parks. Dead Horse was a little different in that they allowed drone use during winter months, when there were far fewer people. Makes perfect sense and shows that they were trying to accommodate everyone. On top of that, this is a map published by Dead Horse:

View attachment 72126

So in full disclosure, they even point out where you can launch from outside of their property. Other Utah State Parks have the same policy of allowing drone use during winter months (such as Antelope Island.. though, I think $15/day is a little steep).

Excellent information! So many people travel there, its good to know before you go.

View attachment 72126

This is good to know and I find it very reasonable. I wish our National Parks would do something like this.

For a agency with an $11 billion backlog the National Park service sure seems like they don’t care about turning paying visitors away. I for one am boycotting till they provide some reasonable avenue for drone flights.

This is great thanks for sharing!

Reactions: sadatoni
Thanks for the update on Utah State Parks. There are two near me ,one that I have flown and another that I would like to fly.

Wow, would love to fly around Goblin Valley although I suppose the main Hoodoos area would not be allowed as I can't see visitors being too happy at hearing drones flying around them...

Wow, would love to fly around Goblin Valley although I suppose the main Hoodoos area would not be allowed as I can't see visitors being too happy at hearing drones flying around them...
Goblin have always allowed drones. The info listed above came specifically from Goblin. The area with hoodoos is huge and a lot of people don't visit that park. I think people need to be respectful but it is allowed.

Has this been confirmed?

Going to Utah tomorrow.
I know it is true of Goblin Valley State Park as I applied and flew. Some state parks, Antelope Island, Dead Horse, etc. have always had their own drone rules (can fly in the winter months only) and a select few don't allow the at all (I think 2). Your best bet is to look at the parks website for their drone rules and/or call them direct.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3