DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very Happy for RTH two different monitors, two different issues

PompousWindbag

Reactions
Had a real scare the other morning. While flying my Air 2S, the screen on my tablet went black, in spite of having a strong signal. I tried exiting out of DJI Fly and re-opening it. Still black. The map was showing in the lower corner, but was unresponsive. I had plenty of battery left. After a minute or so pondering my next move, I decided I had better hit the RTH button on the controller and hope for the best. Sure enough, it came back and made a perfect landing. Later that day, I tried a different phone for my screen. It is a dedicated phone for use with the drone, only, as the tablet is. This time, during a hyperflash, the screen just froze. The countdown ceased. I had no idea if it was still taking pictures to complete the hyperlapse (it was), but I was able to get the screen working again by exciting the app and opening it again. I will be SO glad when DJI issues the next update. The current one seems way buggier than the last.

Had a real scare the other morning. While flying my Air 2S, the screen on my tablet went black, in spite of having a strong signal. I tried exiting out of DJI Fly and re-opening it. Still black. The map was showing in the lower corner, but was unresponsive. I had plenty of battery left. After a minute or so pondering my next move, I decided I had better hit the RTH button on the controller and hope for the best.
Losing the app or your phone/tablet doesn't mean you've lost the control signal.
You can turn off your phone or tablet and still fly home or initiate RTH

Reactions: tlswift58
Had a real scare the other morning. While flying my Air 2S, the screen on my tablet went black, in spite of having a strong signal. I tried exiting out of DJI Fly and re-opening it. Still black. The map was showing in the lower corner, but was unresponsive. I had plenty of battery left. After a minute or so pondering my next move, I decided I had better hit the RTH button on the controller and hope for the best. Sure enough, it came back and made a perfect landing. Later that day, I tried a different phone for my screen. It is a dedicated phone for use with the drone, only, as the tablet is. This time, during a hyperflash, the screen just froze. The countdown ceased. I had no idea if it was still taking pictures to complete the hyperlapse (it was), but I was able to get the screen working again by exciting the app and opening it again. I will be SO glad when DJI issues the next update. The current one seems way buggier than the last.
Have had a couple of times my screen on my tablet froze or had some kind of issue - didn't seem to be a DJI FlyApp issue (it may have been) as it has happened on different rev's of the FlyApp.

I have found that simply rebooting the tablet brings everything back to life without doing RTH. Yes, it can be a tense minute or 2; but I don't tend to fly my drone 1-2 miles away - more like typically less than 500 feet due to flying conditions I encounter.

I do know that should something go wrong - RTH is there - but I personally don't use it often or at all.

If within VLOS - why would you need to use RTH if you still have control of the drone? Also my RTH settings could very well crash my drone in the process due to trees / etc.

Reactions: pnovotny
Losing the app or your phone/tablet doesn't mean you've lost the control signal.
You can turn off your phone or tablet and still fly home or initiate RTH
Yes, I am aware. It's just the aspect of flying blind that's disconcerting. Plus. about the time I had the problem, a helicopter entered the area. I was well below the ceiling. Somewhere between 250-270 feet.

• Wow
Have had a couple of times my screen on my tablet froze or had some kind of issue - didn't seem to be a DJI FlyApp issue (it may have been) as it has happened on different rev's of the FlyApp.

I have found that simply rebooting the tablet brings everything back to life without doing RTH. Yes, it can be a tense minute or 2; but I don't tend to fly my drone 1-2 miles away - more like typically less than 500 feet due to flying conditions I encounter.

I do know that should something go wrong - RTH is there - but I personally don't use it often or at all.

If within VLOS - why would you need to use RTH if you still have control of the drone? Also my RTH settings could very well crash my drone in the process due to trees / etc.
Thanks for the top about rebooting the tablet. I should have tried that. I glance between the screen and the drone. During the day, it's tough to always be able to track back to exactly to where the drone is in the sky visually, even though it *is* VLOS. And why pray tell, would you have RTH settings that could send your drone into a tree?? Shouldn't your RTH be higher than the highest obstacle within *your* VLOS?

• Haha
Thanks for the top about rebooting the tablet. I should have tried that. I glance between the screen and the drone. During the day, it's tough to always be able to track back to exactly to where the drone is in the sky visually, even though it *is* VLOS. And why pray tell, would you have RTH settings that could send your drone into a tree?? Shouldn't your RTH be higher than the highest obstacle within *your* VLOS?
I don't live in the desert or wide open places like some. I fly below tree cover - along rivers, creeks, and waterfalls. Should RTH initiate in those conditions - going up or coming down - it would probably crash into trees. I do have RTH set to rise to 300 feet, but taking off and landing around a lot of trees / obstacles makes RTH more of a hazard than help.

As for "flying blind" or not exactly oriented to drone after looking at screen under VLOS - yes losing it is possible, but you should also be situationally aware of where the drone is / would be approx and be able to fly it back to within site without using RTH. It's nice to have RTH for sure, but to me it's a last ditch safety feature - not a use it for most every flight to bring it home. Some use RTH so they can take a break on return and that is fine too, but truly depends on flying conditions and terrain. Should I live in the desert - RTH can work well. I don't, so I fly the whole mission myself 99% of the time, which I prefer as I work my pilot skills and always looking for some possible last minute pics / vids I may have missed going out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3