DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very informative video on the lawsuit against the FAA on remote ID. You decide ?

I'm not flying illegally at over a mile range because I am still "line of sight". There is nothing in the FAA rules that states the LOS needs to be via an unaided eyeball. I use high-powered scopes when I fly and also very bright strobes so I can see my Mavic 2 Zoom from over 3 miles away.
🤦 🤦🏽‍♂️ 🤦🏻 🤦, what can I say … just shaking my head!

The Annenberg Public Policy Center found that 37% of Americans can’t name any of the rights guaranteed under the First Amendment, and only 26% can name all three branches of government. Given that, do you wonder why there are some who argue “I'm going to ignore any RID requirement … I'll do my own thing …” That is indicative of a mindset that they are somehow “privileged,” “entitled,” or “elitist.” I get it, It’s all about you, you, you, and the hell with anybody else. I hear you saying … “I’ll fly the way I wanna and nobody’s gonna tell me how to fly … this is America, we’re free to do whatever we want … I have the RIGHT to fly the way I wanna and nobody can tell me not to … the government this, the government that ...” We hear you. Unfortunately, this is a huge problem., and while this attitude is not the reason for RID, it doesn’t help. To be clear, not everyone is so dense; some are just after the money! Not a sermon … Jus sayin.’

well let's say someone has that mindset. Presumably they are only going to be hurting themselves since a violator will be subject to all sorts of fines, etc.

I also would like to say being new to this hobby I wished the rules were more expansive. But the FAA is charged with keeping the skies safe so...... Also 400" and LOS is not that bad. It could be tons more restrictive. I am almost surprised they give us 400" There is quire a view from 400." It could have turned out more draconian.

It would be better I think if the FAA allowed for drone licenses requiring whatever course of study etc that provided users more privilege's. I wonder why that cannot happen.

Last edited:
It would be better I think if the FAA allowed for drone licenses requiring whatever course of study etc that provided users more privilege's. I wonder why that cannot happen.

They already do. 107 certs allow pilots to do more than rec pilots. The only things left are BVLOS and easier attitude overrides and the FAA isn't handing that out to anyone who can't grease the wheels.

It shouldn't be more restrictive to fly a drone than an ultralight. Right now, without any training or license, I can buy an ultralight and fly (take off and land) in a local state park that doesn't allow drones. I can even land on the water. And I can definitely cause more trouble and damage in an ultralight than with a drone.

That doesn't mean that ultralights aren't regulated enough, it means that drones are probably already over-regulated.

They already do. 107 certs allow pilots to do more than rec pilots. The only things left are BVLOS and easier attitude overrides and the FAA isn't handing that out to anyone who can't grease the wheels.

It shouldn't be more restrictive to fly a drone than an ultralight. Right now, without any training or license, I can buy an ultralight and fly (take off and land) in a local state park that doesn't allow drones. I can even land on the water. And I can definitely cause more trouble and damage in an ultralight than with a drone.

That doesn't mean that ultralights aren't regulated enough, it means that drones are probably already over-regulated.
And you risk your own life when flying an ultralight, whereas when flying a drone you only risk the lives of others. A very good reason for more regulation of drones.

Reactions: snowghost
And you risk your own life when flying an ultralight, whereas when flying a drone you only risk the lives of others. A very good reason for more regulation of drones.

If that were the only reasoning, we shouldn't need licenses for full airplanes - people will be careful when their neck is on the line. Of course that's not the case because you don't ONLY risk your own life. Even if a pilot is willing to risk their own life, regulations exist to protect other people and he needs certified training, just not with an ultralight because the damage to others is considered minimal. And an ultralight can cause FAR more damage than a drone.

If that were the only reasoning, we shouldn't need licenses for full airplanes - people will be careful when their neck is on the line. Of course that's not the case because you don't ONLY risk your own life. Even if a pilot is willing to risk their own life, regulations exist to protect other people and he needs certified training, just not with an ultralight because the damage to others is considered minimal. And an ultralight can cause FAR more damage than a drone.
Sorry - did anyone say that was the only reasoning? I certainly didn't. So an absurd straw man argument is not going to further this discussion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+