DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very Long Range Antennas

Uhhhh... Well, first things first... Do you have a BVLOS waiver?

Other than that, directional antennas maybe? I've seen a post around here of a guy that had an antenna attached to 100+ foot tall pole thing. It looked like a well drilling rig sort of. It was so he could get over his pine trees.

Still... Don't break the law.

Also... Wait a minute... Side note... Battery life wouldn't get you further than like 25km max without having to turn around. Probably less.

Uhhhh... Well, first things first... Do you have a BVLOS waiver?

Other than that, directional antennas maybe? I've seen a post around here of a guy that had an antenna attached to 100+ foot tall pole thing. It looked like a well drilling rig sort of. It was so he could get over his pine trees.

Still... Don't break the law.

Also... Wait a minute... Side note... Battery life wouldn't get you further than like 25km max without having to turn around. Probably less.
Yes for these specific gigs, I will be getting a waiver.

I came across something like this. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with these types.

Yes for these specific gigs, I will be getting a waiver.

I came across something like this. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with these types.

Don’t read French.... Do the math with curvature of the Earth per mile... IF it can actually do it transmission-wise you would be well above legal altitude at that kind of distance, even in a flat desert, to have the LOS required for connection. Whether the drone can communicate with your device from that distance is doubtful, but another discussion.

50 to 100 km?? As in 31 to 62 miles! If you could maintain communications out that far, it'll be a one way trip as out and back is beyond the drone's battery' duration in the air time / max speed /distance equation.

Okay, lets assume you are using "in-air refueling" :)

You won't get that kind of range using high gain directional antennas alone. You will doubtless need a high power booster amplifier as well as the directional antenna at the controller end. Since modifying the drone antennas is impractical (the antennas will need to stay omnidirectional or you'd lose contact if you turn the drone), the receive function at the controller will need to be improved significantly as well. A good selective pre-amp will be needed for the receiver.

Don’t read French.... Do the math with curvature of the Earth per mile... IF it can actually do it transmission-wise you would be well above legal altitude at that kind of distance, even in a flat desert, to have the LOS required for connection. Whether the drone can communicate with your device from that distance is doubtful, but another discussion.
I've seen fixed wing fpv flights out to 50 miles I think, but that's a totally different subject.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Not going to get that from a Mavic.
All of our extreme range testing has been done with satellite and cellular systems with onboard modems. Pretty elaborate setup for standard commercial flying.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Anyone know where I can get information on purchasing very long range antenna for Mavic 2 Pro? 50km. 100km +.
Although I can’t answer your question directly, I can tell you that this site may not be the best place to request that type of info. You will often get lectures on VLOS even though you are a grown and fully responsible adult. I say this because all pilots violate VLOS each time they take their eyes away from their drone to look at their display.

Good look in your quest and when you do fly, stay away from (as much as possible) people, vehicles in motion and restricted space.

...I say this because all pilots violate VLOS each time they take their eyes away from their drone to look at their display.
That is not correct. The regulations state that the aircraft must be ‘within Visual Line of Sight’. It does not say you cannot look at the controller screen. It should be obvious you have to do this to ensure, among many things, you are aware of your altitude, the status of your aircraft, battery level...

That is not correct. The regulations state that the aircraft must be ‘within Visual Line of Sight’. It does not say you cannot look at the controller screen. It should be obvious you have to do this to ensure, among many things, you are aware of your altitude, the status of your aircraft, battery level...
....and he would still be within VLOS as you are when you look at your display. And you’re right, the regs say nothing about a glance at the controller so VLOS still applies, right?
But let’s both chill a bit. I was just telling him that this is not the best forum for an aberrant questions - that was the entire point of my response to this well-meaning pilot.
You take care and enjoy your flying as I do mine.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Although I can’t answer your question directly, I can tell you that this site may not be the best place to request that type of info. You will often get lectures on VLOS even though you are a grown and fully responsible adult. I say this because all pilots violate VLOS each time they take their eyes away from their drone to look at their display.

Good look in your quest and when you do fly, stay away from (as much as possible) people, vehicles in motion and restricted space.
Not strictly correct if one is flying using the Epson Moverio BT-300 or BT-35 HUD glasses where can see both the camera's display and the UAV by adjusting your eyes' focus through the glasses' lenses or around the perifery of the frames.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
50 to 100 km?? As in 31 to 62 miles! If you could maintain communications out that far, it'll be a one way trip as out and back is beyond the drone's battery' duration in the air time / max speed /distance equation.

Okay, lets assume you are using "in-air refueling" :)

You won't get that kind of range using high gain directional antennas alone. You will doubtless need a high power booster amplifier as well as the directional antenna at the controller end. Since modifying the drone antennas is impractical (the antennas will need to stay omnidirectional or you'd lose contact if you turn the drone), the receive function at the controller will need to be improved significantly as well. A good selective pre-amp will be needed for the receiver.
To be fair I would say the OP doesn't mention in his post actually flying the UAV from where he's located to 50 or 100 km further away, not even by "in flight refuelling". Even with a mega battery mod I also don't think so. But as for him purely controlling the UAV from such a distance? I await with bated breath!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas