DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very short battery life od remote controller

yorgil

Reactions
I have some issues for last few flights. My remote controller drains battery very fast. I thing its life is pararell to M2P battery life. Yesterday after completed mission I had 16% of battery in drone and 18% of battery in my RC. Both were fully charged earlier.
Last month I flew in Norway and I thought it was caused by low temperatures. But it isnt a case. Here we have optimal conditions and my RC battery dies very quickly.
Manual says RC battery life shoud be enough for 3-4 flights. I have 3 batteries for my M2P and earlier it was really ok. But now Im confused. Is there any method to reset state of my RC? Or had anyone similar issues with that?

Regards
Przemek

Are you using an Android device with the RC? Because the RC chargers Android devices in use, with no way to turn it off.

But then, that would have been the case before you had RC battery problems, if you were using an Android before.

Chris

Hi,

Yes, I use an Android device to control M2P. And I know I cannot turn off charging it by RC. But earlier it wasnt an issue. I could flight all 3 of mine drone batteries with single charged RC. So it isnt a cause of that problem, I suppose.

two things spring to mind
(1) how old is your controller has it had a lot of use have you left it fully charged for long periods or even indeed with a very low charge,for a long time, both these things can shorten the life of the battery
(2) have you disabled all the non essential apps that are on your device, and made sure none are running in the background that you are not aware of

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Ad 1. My M2P (and RC) is 18 months old. Im photographer and I use drone not so often. And yes, I very often left it full charged for long time.
Ad 2. I use dedicated android device so I dont run any additional software on ot beside those controlling drone

I always make sure my android is fully charged, so the rc doesnt have to charge the phone

Reactions: G Lee
Be sure you turn off Fast Cable Charging in the Device Mainte. under settings then battery. Might help.

Reactions: jmbsmt63
I had the same issue during some cold-weather flights in November, but it really seemed linked to the temperature. No problems when it got warmer.

U cant reset state of a lipo battery... Basically your Android device is just killing the battery I also fly with an Android device and before I rooted my OnePlus 7 pro it would drastically kill the battery... So I rooted my device and use this app called "disable USB charging" and now I can get three or four batteries out of my remote just like my iPad. Basically that app will turn off charging function from the remote to the device, but keeps data flowing.

Reactions: iglou7 and yorgil
Ad 1. My M2P (and RC) is 18 months old. Im photographer and I use drone not so often. And yes, I very often left it full charged for long time.
Ad 2. I use dedicated android device so I dont run any additional software on ot beside those controlling drone

My Mavic 2 Pro is around the same age and the controller batterylife has suddenly starting depleting much quicker than it previously did. I'm not having much luck finding a way to replace the battery apart from companies charging almost as much as I can get a replacement controller for. I've been thinking of contacting DJI to see if they do any sort of repair or refresh for controllers but I suspect it won't be economic though.

I posted in the help section here although I've not posted on the DJI forums yet:

I tested the power draw of the remote controller and it doesn't support fast charging so it doesn't pay any attention to the fast charge setting, it only ever supplies up to 500mA of power.

Hey guys, I've had a mavic 2 pro for more than a year now. Used it alot. Sometime back I had done a flight and kept my remote back into my bag say about 40% battery, and did not use it for 15 days. All of a sudden it has gone completely dead. Does not turn on even while charging. I'm guessing it's a lipo issue. Been trying to contact a repair service since I'm in India. I feel really sad about this. What's the average amount of days you guys leave your remote uncharged?

Just started having the same issue. My equipment is 2 years old with occasional recreation usage. I first noticed that the controller wasn't charging to 100% like it use to. Now stops charging at 99%. I didn't think much of that but also noticed a rapid discharge of the remote controller battery, I just charged it to full capacity and had a single 17 minute flight. Controller discharged to 70% where before it would still be in the low 90% :(

I'm having a similar issue with a MP2 purchased when they first came out. It now uses about 40% charge for one flight when charged to 100%, ... Well ok, it actually only charges to 98% now. I've changed the settings in my android tablet to reduce it charging the controller way back when.

Did anyone ever find a way to replace the battery or is it simply time to buy a new controller?

I sometimes use a small Powerbank which I connect to the micro usb of the controller and I use velcro tape on the back of my android tablet.
But to reply to the post Yes I've noticed the controller doesn't last as long as it used to,seems to struggle more in cold temperatures.

Reactions: Gringorio
I sometimes use a small Powerbank which I connect to the micro usb of the controller and I use velcro tape on the back of my android tablet.
But to reply to the post Yes I've noticed the controller doesn't last as long as it used to,seems to struggle more in cold temperatures.
Cool... can you share brand and model of powerbank? Might be less expensive than buying a new controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman