DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Victoria - State parks and waterways

I think the ruling by Parks VIC is pretty clear - "Parks Victoria is reminding visitors that launching and landing a drone is prohibited in the parks and reserves it manages across the State ". Further, "Landing or launching a drone without a permit in parks can attract an infringement of $793.00, with a maximum fine of up to $3171.40 "
So, as long as you launch or land it outside their jurisdiction, you're fine. Go fly (obviously taking CASA rulings into consideration as well at the time).

Pity they don't follow the example here in WA. Was the same as Vic but they recently changed their mind and now allow to fly, provided we follow CASA rules and don't annoy other users, animals etc.Great example of sanity.

Reactions: RonSpooner
I've just consulted with MPS and they say that "the council doesn't govern the operation of these craft", as for nuisance to other people and noise to neighbouring properties. This is what's in the local laws that relate to nuisance or noise.
63. Unreasonable Noise Control
In determining whether noise is excessive, offensive or the cause of nuisance to any other person an Authorised Officer will have regard to the Environment Protection Authority Noise Control Guidelines Publication 1254 (excluding section 15 Aircraft and 16 Helicopters)
I correct in assuming that because this activity is identified as a Remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) we fall under CASAs rules and if the app says we can fly there and we follow the rules, we're fine.
https://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/file...-amp-regulations/gp_local_law_application.doc

I've just consulted with MPS and they say that "the council doesn't govern the operation of these craft", as for nuisance to other people and noise to neighbouring properties. This is what's in the local laws that relate to nuisance or noise.
63. Unreasonable Noise Control
In determining whether noise is excessive, offensive or the cause of nuisance to any other person an Authorised Officer will have regard to the Environment Protection Authority Noise Control Guidelines Publication 1254 (excluding section 15 Aircraft and 16 Helicopters)
I correct in assuming that because this activity is identified as a Remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) we fall under CASAs rules and if the app says we can fly there and we follow the rules, we're fine.
https://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/file...-amp-regulations/gp_local_law_application.doc

Correct, the council doesn't govern the operation of those craft. Parks Vic does. I definitely wouldn't take that as a green light to fly all over the peninsula.

This thread is pretty old, but hi anyway Matt.

A lot of local councils have taken it upon themselves to also ban operation of drone on council property, this is like Vic Parks, where you can fly over, but not launch from or land on 'their' land. (Hey, I thought it was ours, and managed by the various authority.)
It smacks of bureaucracy / overreaction to some imaginary problem that they perceive will happen, to date Australia and indeed Worldwide has generally had few incidents with recreational drones given how many are in operation.

For councils, just google > (council name) council drone bylaw < and generally their rules if any should come up.
See example here for City of Melbourne with that search . . . https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/sitecollectiondocuments/filming-rpa-drone-guidelines.pdf

As you can see, this virtually rules out flying in the COM area, although I'm not sure they can ban over their land "A permit is required to be obtained from the City of Melbourne before any RPA activity is permitted to take place within or above the municipality’s Public Open Space." . . . but they have in their authority done so.

It's usually in their bylaws section on models, aircraft, drones, and even includes model boats on lakes at times, AND I have even seen bylaws banning kites with more than one string !!
Small councils probably haven't got any policy, but likely this will slowly change.

My view is this sort of thing can make short drone rec flying more dangerous, better to be there with the craft than flying from some distance where you can't more readily see who's around on the ground.

Indeed National Parks and other such in Australia is mostly a no go, the exceptions are QLD (always permitted under CASA rules, and not annoying others or wildlife), and WA, whom not long ago rescinded their ban to be under same rules as QLD.

Others I have heard are reasonable to get permissions are the NT and NSW, but I'd suspect it would not be allowed in heavily popular parks, but easy to talk to local rangers to get the ok with a brief sensible flight plan (early morning before others frequent a place, flight of say 15 mins, basic plan showing some foresight into making it safe, etc).

SA, VIC, TAS are pretty draconian, but if I go to the SA Simpson Desert, I'll certainly fly !
I can easily do so with no one else within many kms, and even then sometimes you don't see anyone for hours.

I wouldn't fly at Belair National Park in the Adelaide Hills on a weekend . . . it's all common sense, but blanket bans / rules are an easy way out for a grossly understaffed dept, as most state Parks offices are these days.

Anyway, I've yet to see any parks with No Drones signage, there probably are some, but I just haven't been to those places.
You could probably fly most, stay within CASA rules and fly with very high consideration to others (stay high !!), and if a ranger approaches, plead ignorance, say you'll bring it right down and move on, would probably not be a problem, unless you strike a rather draconian council ranger.

Happy and safe flying.

Fortunately my local council has a good policy

https://www.mandurah.wa.gov.au/-/me...e/Use-of-Drones-Factsheet--External-Users.pdf

They initially were going to ban as others have done but then had legal advice they did not have the power to do so so came up with the above.

I suspect the recent change in National Parks here in WA may have been due to similar advise. WE need someone with deep pockets to take on some of the other authorities.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Fortunately my local council has a good policy

https://www.mandurah.wa.gov.au/-/me...e/Use-of-Drones-Factsheet--External-Users.pdf

They initially were going to ban as others have done but then had legal advice they did not have the power to do so so came up with the above.

I suspect the recent change in National Parks here in WA may have been due to similar advise. WE need someone with deep pockets to take on some of the other authorities.

Hope more take that line bushie . . . especially State National Parks.
From the wording I've seen on SA council site that have introduced drone bylaw bans, it looks like a form template wording, and likely put out by the state LGASA (local government association SA) for councils to use if they wish.

Effectively, all coastal councils in the SA metro foreshore have this ban in place, wording typically you can't fly ON council land without a permit.
Some regional councils like the popular coastal town of Victor Harbour also have the same bylaw.

I see that the meetup / protest day in the US went ahead and well the other day, they started a non profit group to grow a fund to fight legislation like this, the US states or similar local council type organisations there are doing the same thing in places.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost