DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video corruption on Android P?

cmusciano

Reactions
I flew today for the first time since upgrading my Pixel XL to the DP4 beta release of Android P. The DJI Go app previously did not run on Android P, but the update released today does work.

Unfortunately, the video feed displayed on my phone while flying is terribly pixelated and corrupted, to the point be being unusable. This doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be very problematic. All signal strength metrics were fine and the drone was never more than 200 feet from me while flying. In some cases, I was getting bad video with the drone no more than 20-30 feet from me.

Has anyone else seen this? I'm inclined to believe this is an Android P problem, with the hope that it will be rectified with the final release of P and another update or two to the DJI Go app.

I flew today for the first time since upgrading my Pixel XL to the DP4 beta release of Android P. The DJI Go app previously did not run on Android P, but the update released today does work.

Unfortunately, the video feed displayed on my phone while flying is terribly pixelated and corrupted, to the point be being unusable.

Actually, the issue seems to be with the newer versions of DJI Go. As the app becomes bigger and more bloated, less powerful devices have been having problems keeping up with the demands of the app, and the video feed falters. Same goes for bigger more demanding versions of the OS. Try doing a search on this forum and you'll see the dozens of similar complaints in recent weeks.

Try downgrading your DJI Go app to earlier versions (look for an apk file via Google) and see if that doesn't fix things.

Actually, the issue seems to be with the newer versions of DJI Go. As the app becomes bigger and more bloated, less powerful devices have been having problems keeping up with the demands of the app, and the video feed falters. Same goes for bigger more demanding versions of the OS. Try doing a search on this forum and you'll see the dozens of similar complaints in recent weeks.

Try downgrading your DJI Go app to earlier versions (look for an apk file via Google) and see if that doesn't fix things.

At this point, I'm between a rock and a hard place. There is no downgrading the app, since earlier versions don't run at all under Android P. And I'd rather not revert back to Oreo. It may be time to use an older phone with an older version of the app as an interim controller until Android P releases and the DJI app is more stable.

Oddly, the only affected is the video feed; all control functions are rock solid.

Its possible (likely) that P is still running debug code with lots of breakpoints and extra logging set along with the fact it for certain hasn't been optimised yet. That could mean the strain of receiving live video is going to tax it over what it can cope with.
DJI Go gets bloatier and bloatier as time goes on so non flagship devices running non optimised preview operating systems may have issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll