DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video file size

EkartPa

Reactions
Just started flying and love the video quality but the file sizes are so large. Can I do something to reduce the file size like reduce the resolution? Now I have to run the video through a converter app, takes a long time, to make the vid small enough to burn on a DVD. Any ZOOM capability on these cameras? Mavic Pro.

What resolution are you filming at?
Have you tried choosing a lower resolution in the video settings in the DJI Go 4 app?
Since you have a Mavic Pro, don't you want high resolution/high quality video?
If you truly want "DVD quality" video, you could record at the lowest resolution in the app.
Have you downloaded and read the Mavic Pro User Manual?

Reactions: Dan Lee
You bought a Mavic Pro to burn videos onto a DVD. I call that a waste of money. I hope you at least meant Blu-rays.

I am working my way thru the manual. I like the video quality but it takes up so much space on my computer. So I would use the app on my phone to change the resolution? I will try that ,.Thanks.

What do you do with your videos when you use them? Just curious as to other options. Thanks.
I edit and render them at 4K, put them on an external hard drive and plug that into my 4K TV (boom!). 4K has a resolution of 3840x2160 - or - 4096x2160. DVD is 720x480 @ 24fps. So you're basically throwing away all of the resolution and building a library of DVDs that look miserable. $0.02

I thought I needed a smaller file to do that.
Smaller than what?

As long as your account is in good standing, you should be able to upload a 15 minute video (which I wouldn't recommend for a drone video because no one will watch that long).

So you should be able to upload files that are several GB.

If you really want to upload the full recording you can decrease the quality using a video conversion tool. Microsoft Windows 10 has a video editor with a export function (pretty basic) which allows you to set a export size. Though most people use something more serious like cyberlink powerdirector to edit and post videos

Not entirely true. While raw recording sizes may be large, you can easily compress it to a much smaller faller size nowadays, without losing quality.

I personally use HandBrake and compressed it to HEVC. When I compared the two videos, I didn't notice any significant changes. True there is loss, but nothing significant if done right, especially if you let the converter take its time doing the compression.

HEVC is not hardware dependent. You can have a decoder with software, albeit you will notice a spike in CPU usage. Likewise with compression, I never use hardware encoding as you just get better results if you just rely on software and have some patience.

Well I'm sold on it. Yes software decoding is expensive when playing back the files, but it can keep up with 4K given the CPU has the power to do so. You will note the CPU usage is quite high, but it's possible to do a smooth playback with a software decoder. Granted with the hardware decoder the video playback quality may vary, but it doesn't change the fact that the file itself is still in excellent shape.

Just use software to encode the videos and use good hardware to decode it. Not a problem.

You have one hell of a watch, btw. Where did you get it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb