DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video file transfer: USB-C vs. Lightning cable

Kyle76

Reactions
Transferring video files to my iPad 6th Generation via the Lightning port can take awhile. How is the process on an iPad Pro via the USB-C connection?

Lightning devices transfer data at USB 2.0 speeds, which is 480Mbps while USB-C can transfer data at USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1) speeds, 5Gbps. The default protocol with the USB-C connector is USB 3.1 which at 10Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 2), is theoretically twice as fast as USB 3.0

Reactions: Kyle76
Lightning devices transfer data at USB 2.0 speeds, which is 480Mbps while USB-C can transfer data at USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1) speeds, 5Gbps. The default protocol with the USB-C connector is USB 3.1 which at 10Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 2), is theoretically twice as fast as USB 3.0
USB-C is the standard for the connector type, not the data transfer protocol. There isn't a default protocol for USB-C, it can be used with USB 2, 3, 3.1, and Thunderbolt.

I couldn't find any specs on the USB chip set used in my Mavic Pro 2, so I did a few rounds of read/write benchmarks. With the Mavic directly connected to my PC, I saw read speeds of 64 Mb/Sec and write speeds of around 5.5 Mb/Sec. I took the card out of the Mavic used a card reader to connect to my PC. With the reader, the read/write speeds were 90 and 50 Mb/Sec, respectively. Your mileage may vary and different cards will have different speeds.

I can only speak for the Mavic 2 Pro, but it looks like it has a USB 2 chipset on board. The fastest way to get the images from the Micro SD card is to take the card out and use a card reader.

[Edited to fix some text that didn't make any sense]

Last edited:
I have an iPad pro 11 with USB-C. I plug my SD Card reader to my iPad pro and really transfer the videos and pictures very fast.

I use a card reader, but the transfer to the iPad seems slow. Maybe it's the processing power of the 6th Generation model.

Make sure your SD card reader is USB 3.1 or at least 3.0.
I have 2 of them USB 2.0 and one 1.0 that are super slowwww

Make sure your SD card reader is USB 3.1 or at least 3.0.
I have 2 of them USB 2.0 and one 1.0 that are super slowwww
The OP has an iPad 6th generation. No USB, just Lightning. But you will want a good Lightning card reader.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078