DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video glitch, what gives?

Barbara

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Okay, this is a bit mystifying to me. I know very little about video file formats, codecs etc. so I can't even begin to understand what's happening here.

The video below is a screen capture taken from my editing window in Corel Video Studio X10 (I am in the process of upgrading to a new PC and new editing software). It shows something happening, a glitch if you like, at two separate times. First glitch at 10 sec., then it freezes at 19 sec. and then comes back with a spectacular color show at 27 sec,

If I watch the video in the Windows Movie viewer or VLC, there is no evidence of this visual aberration. The whole video plays smoothly without any hiccups. My video editor obviously sees something. If I attempt to make a proxy file, it barfs (that's a technical term by the way) and if I try to render a video that includes this clip, it stalls and gives an error message saying that frame number xxx is unreadable. I can render the clip if I trim out the two aberrations.

Unfortunately I erased the original file on the SD card after copying it, so I can't verify whether or not the original was flawed too. One other video from that day has a similar glitch, but VS doesn't have a problem with processing it.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on? Why video players don't see an issue and yet the editing software barfs? Problem with the SD card, it a Sandisk Exreme Pro, 128 GB, V3 A2....

Hi Barbara,

It looks like the clip is corrupt. It is normal for a video editor to stop or throw an error message if it sees bad frame data either on playback or rendering.

It’s not unusual for a video player to skip over bad frames or even repeat the frame before the bad one to conceal the error.

Not sure what caused this but it could be in the original recording or when it was transferred to your computer.

To be safe I would recommend reformatting the card within the aircraft (not in Windows). If it happens again then change the card.

Hi Barbara,

It looks like the clip is corrupt. It is normal for a video editor to stop or throw an error message if it sees bad frame data either on playback or rendering.

It’s not unusual for a video player to skip over bad frames or even repeat the frame before the bad one to conceal the error.

Not sure what caused this but it could be in the original recording or when it was transferred to your computer.

To be safe I would recommend reformatting the card within the aircraft (not in Windows). If it happens again then change the card.
I believe you are correct about editing versus player when dealing with errors. As for what caused it, can't know at this time. I don't normally immediately review each clip in my editing software, so the original gets deleted before I see an issue.

I'll format the SD card as you recommended and see what happens in the future. Hopefully it's nothing to do with the drone itself.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Stay safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121