DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video looks overexposed in Windows Media player. It's fine in VLC

Spinball

Reactions
Hello folks,
my first flight with my brand, spanking new Mini Pro 4 and when played in Windows Media player, some of the videos I shot are overexposed. Some are ok. VLC media player and Adobe Premiere Pro play the videos just fine.
[thread title and this post edited to reflect the real problem]

1704020781734.png
I don't have any ND filters, yet. Here are my recording settings:
1.jpg
I don't really know much about photography.
Is it just a case of Windows Media player being rubbish?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Last edited:
You might get better results with Normal color and H.264 if you are not much into photography...

Reactions: MS Coast
You're shooting in HLG. Shoot in normal mode until you understand exposure and control. Find an HLG LUTS online somewhere and drop it onto your footing in your timeline of your editing program. That is savable.

Thanks, all. I was under the impression that HLG will get the best 10bit results without having to grade. I don’t mind using Normal, but when I’m using this in anger, somewhere beautiful for one-off moments, I want to capture with the best possible settings.

Thanks, all. I was under the impression that HLG will get the best 10bit results without having to grade. I don’t mind using Normal, but when I’m using this in anger, somewhere beautiful for one-off moments, I want to capture with the best possible settings.
"when I’m using this in anger," ???

That's one typo of VR error I can't figure out.

"when I’m using this in anger," ???

That's one typo of VR error I can't figure out.
Maybe it’s a UK phrase. It means using something seriously or properly.

Reactions: MS Coast
Ok so this is strange. I opened the videos in Premiere Pro and the exposure is fine.
So I opened them in VLC media player and they are fine.
It's only in Windows media player that the exposure is balked.
I have edited the thread title to reflect the real problem.

Last edited:
If you're not wanting to grade etc then by all means shot in NORMAL mode. This will give you the best "compromise" of quality vs automation.

HLG does help some but you'll still need to give it some love as you now see.

If you're not wanting to grade etc then by all means shot in NORMAL mode. This will give you the best "compromise" of quality vs automation.

HLG does help some but you'll still need to give it some love as you now see.
Yes, thanks. I've used Premiere Pro regularly for more than a decade, but I'm still guessing when it comes to colour correction or grading (I don't know the difference).

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes, thanks. I've used Premiere Pro regularly for more than a decade, but I'm still guessing when it comes to colour correction or grading (I don't know the difference).

Here's a quick & simple explanation from the weeb:

Color correcting is about getting footage back to how it should look.

Color grading is about giving footage a new stylistic look based on a certain aesthetic — for example, the distinctive visual styles of filmmakers like Wes Anderson or Stanley Kubrick.

Reactions: Spinball
Same thing with HLG video on my old (2017) iMac. The native MacOs 10.13.6 Quicktime Player hasn't been updated for years and can't handle HLG. VLC displays HLG fine - but can't cut, trim or save it. I think we both need new PCs.

Is that appropriate for converting from HLG to Rec.709? When I use it, the exposure looks good, but the footage is still quite over saturated.
Those are for D-Log mostly. As you found out, it's not great for HLG.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne