DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Notification Needed in DJI Apps

Talmon Murphy

Reactions
I recently posted a similar post on Facebook with mixed responses. For me this is one of the most needed but missing features that has affected me several times over the past couple years.

Can we get a bold red border (maybe pulsing slowly) around the entire screen so that it’s always apparent when we’re recording and obvious when we’re not? Many apps on inexpensive drones have a voice that notifies the user when recording starts or stops.

May I make a suggestion for all of the drone apps; i.e. Fly, Go, etc., and maybe all of DJI’s apps that record? I was watching a video about the Mic 2 and noticed the new ”recording notification” feature where a bold red box shows up around the screen when you’re recording.

Many times when I’m flying my drones I may inadvertently tap a button and stop recording or not activate recording when I thought I did causing me to miss valuable shots! It’s not easy to tell when I’m recording unless I make the conscious effort to remember to check the record button for the small red circle and the recording time. Can we get a bold red border (maybe pulsing slowly) around the entire screen so that it’s always apparent when we’re recording and obvious when we’re not? That would be a BIG timesaver! 👍😊

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? 🤷‍♂️

Perfect example: after initially posting this on Facebook; just this week as I flew recording while fishing, I tried to fly around and catch footage of me catching a small fish. However after I got the camera on me and “filmed” for several minutes, I realized afterwards that at some point I had in advertently hit a button and stopped recording somehow. This is a prime example of why there needs to be something prominent so if recording stops will be aware of it. Maybe even just a notification that pops up on the screen that says “your recording has stopped” or “your recording has started”, etc..

In my opinion is very unacceptable and unprofessional that an expensive camera drone device such as these will let us down when depending on it for getting very important footage that we can’t go back and reenact just for the moment. DJI, are you listening?

It may fall on deaf ears, but I suggest contacting DJI with your question.

Reactions: RodPad and sarahb
It's probably a good suggestion but as you can probably tell, there are a lot of cameras and camera equipment on the market that don't have such indicators. I may have been frustrated in the past which is likely why I took matters into my own hands and ever since the microsd card went to 128gb and larger, I decided for me that I would enable auto-record or manually start recording at or before take off and pretty much record everything.

Therefore I can be in charge of combing thru the footage in post production which is much easier today then it used to be in the past but it's better than no footage or missed footage. If for some reason I need to make a mark, it's easy to stop recording and immediate start recording again so I know where to look but I don't manipulate those buttons in flight which is why I won't "accidentally" stop recording. At this point, I don't need any further assistance from DJI or need to wait on them but I understand the ask.

It's probably a good suggestion but as you can probably tell, there are a lot of cameras and camera equipment on the market that don't have such indicators. I may have been frustrated in the past which is likely why I took matters into my own hands and ever since the microsd card went to 128gb and larger, I decided for me that I would enable auto-record or manually start recording at or before take off and pretty much record everything.

Therefore I can be in charge of combing thru the footage in post production which is much easier today then it used to be in the past but it's better than no footage or missed footage. If for some reason I need to make a mark, it's easy to stop recording and immediate start recording again so I know where to look but I don't manipulate those buttons in flight which is why I won't "accidentally" stop recording. At this point, I don't need any further assistance from DJI or need to wait on them but I understand the ask.
The biggest problem I’m having is when I inadvertently hit a button and “stop” recording without being aware of it. It doesn’t notify us this has happened.

I recently posted a similar post on Facebook with mixed responses. For me this is one of the most needed but missing features that has affected me several times over the past couple years.

Can we get a bold red border (maybe pulsing slowly) around the entire screen so that it’s always apparent when we’re recording and obvious when we’re not? Many apps on inexpensive drones have a voice that notifies the user when recording starts or stops.

May I make a suggestion for all of the drone apps; i.e. Fly, Go, etc., and maybe all of DJI’s apps that record? I was watching a video about the Mic 2 and noticed the new ”recording notification” feature where a bold red box shows up around the screen when you’re recording.

Many times when I’m flying my drones I may inadvertently tap a button and stop recording or not activate recording when I thought I did causing me to miss valuable shots! It’s not easy to tell when I’m recording unless I make the conscious effort to remember to check the record button for the small red circle and the recording time. Can we get a bold red border (maybe pulsing slowly) around the entire screen so that it’s always apparent when we’re recording and obvious when we’re not? That would be a BIG timesaver! 👍😊

Perfect example: after initially posting this on Facebook; just this week as I flew recording while fishing, I tried to fly around and catch footage of me catching a small fish. However after I got the camera on me and “filmed” for several minutes, I realized afterwards that at some point I had in advertently hit a button and stopped recording somehow. This is a prime example of why there needs to be something prominent so if recording stops will be aware of it. Maybe even just a notification that pops up on the screen that says “your recording has stopped” or “your recording has started”, etc..

In my opinion is very unacceptable and unprofessional that an expensive camera drone device such as these will let us down when depending on it for getting very important footage that we can’t go back and reenact just for the moment. DJI, are you listening?
I recently purchased the amazing Nikon Z8 mirrorless camera which has a fabulous video mode. When the video is filming, a red border surrounds the image. So, for sure, this can definitely be done.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: marcosvc
I recently purchased the amazing Nikon Z8 mirrorless camera which has a fabulous video mode. When the video is filming, a red border surrounds the image. So, for sure, this can definitely be done.

Dale
Miami
That's a great idea especially for a high end camera that you carry around all day long and shoot video anytime you want. A drone cannot record video unless and until it is airborne and when it is, video is likely limited to 40 minutes or less; probably a lot less. With so little real estate on the screen already, I would agree a red border should be an option for those who want to turn it ON because they need it but like I said earlier, when my drone is flying, it's recording and I guess I would rather not see the red border for the entire flight.

But I'm going to for sure agreed with the statement you gotta let the pilot know when the recording turns OFF because this could happen due to malfunction or you run out of space or accidentally. Maybe the display (for the first 15 seconds) does the opposite and the border lights up red when off and lights up green when recording which you cannot miss even in the goggles. It's likely not doable in Fly but maybe in the next round.

That's a great idea especially for a high end camera that you carry around all day long and shoot video anytime you want. A drone cannot record video unless and until it is airborne and when it is, video is likely limited to 40 minutes or less; probably a lot less. With so little real estate on the screen already, I would agree a red border should be an option for those who want to turn it ON because they need it but like I said earlier, when my drone is flying, it's recording and I guess I would rather not see the red border for the entire flight.

But I'm going to for sure agreed with the statement you gotta let the pilot know when the recording turns OFF because this could happen due to malfunction or you run out of space or accidentally. Maybe the display (for the first 15 seconds) does the opposite and the border lights up red when off and lights up green when recording which you cannot miss even in the goggles. It's likely not doable in Fly but maybe in the next round.
I know this is superfluous, but not only does the Nikon Z8 mirrorless camera have a red border when the video is on, but since there is no DSLR shutter noise with still images (no mirror to flip up and down), Nikon has offered 3 options to the still photographer to know that the picture has been taken. One is a faux shutter noise but muted, the other are flashing bars at the edges of the frame. Wedding photographers do not want their shutters to be heard during the ceremony!

Dale
Miami

Reactions: mavic3usa

I have fallen victim to my forgetfulness a number of times flying my Mavic pro and also Avata (my best and most daring flight lives only in my memory:(
I’d vote for the pulsing red border.

I have fallen victim to my forgetfulness a number of times flying my Mavic pro and also Avata (my best and most daring flight lives only in my memory:(

Rd Margin for video recordinf.jpg
Here is a screen shot of my Nikon Z8 mirrorless camera on video recording mode. Please see the RED record button upper left, and the red border all around the image.

If Nikon can do it, so can DJI do it.

Dale
MiamiRd Margin for video recordinf.jpg

View attachment 175578

Here is a screen shot of my Nikon Z8 mirrorless camera on video recording mode. Please see the RED record button upper left, and the red border all around the image.

If Nikon can do it, so can DJI do it.

Dale
MiamiView attachment 175578
Yes I would think that screen is super cluttered and hardly anyone could tell whether you are recording or not (at a glance). However, we may or may not be there just yet with the DJI drone, I vote for keeping the screen as less cluttered and complicated as possible.

Oh another comment, does that border really need to be there while you have a big red dot and REC on the top left and does it flash? Are users really missing that while the big timer is counting? I almost want to say your Nikon camera screen *without* the red border is way better than what DJI uses today.

Yes I would think that screen is super cluttered and hardly anyone could tell whether you are recording or not (at a glance). However, we may or may not be there just yet with the DJI drone, I vote for keeping the screen as less cluttered and complicated as possible.

Oh another comment, does that border really need to be there while you have a big red dot and REC on the top left and does it flash? Are users really missing that while the big timer is counting? I almost want to say your Nikon camera screen *without* the red border is way better than what DJI uses today.
Mavic3USA

As you most probably know, every single thing on this camera is adjustable in at least 3 different ways! I can turn on and off any single item on my screen or my viewfinder separately! I can have a completely bare screen without a single item. I can, step by step, in the settings, adjust each item by checking or unchecking an item. With the press of a function button, I can clear the entire screen to compose the image on an uncluttered screen. I can add or subtract the histogram, shutter settings, everything you can image or wish for. The settings menus in the LCD are pages and pages of settings! It is the most complex menu system I have ever seen on any electronic item I have ever owned. Below seen a screen shot of the custom monitor screen display. The Z8 also has a custom VIEWFINDER screen display, so I can see the same settings or remove the same settings in my viewfinder! The camera is the most advanced piece of elecronics imaginable. I can check or uncheck any of these settings to appear.

Dale
MiamiCustom monitor shooting displayHEIC.jpg

Reactions: mavic3usa
Mavic3USA

As you most probably know, every single thing on this camera is adjustable in at least 3 different ways! I can turn on and off any single item on my screen or my viewfinder separately! I can have a completely bare screen without a single item. I can, step by step, in the settings, adjust each item by checking or unchecking an item. With the press of a function button, I can clear the entire screen to compose the image on an uncluttered screen. I can add or subtract the histogram, shutter settings, everything you can image or wish for. The settings menus in the LCD are pages and pages of settings! It is the most complex menu system I have ever seen on any electronic item I have ever owned. Below seen a screen shot of the custom monitor screen display. The Z8 also has a custom VIEWFINDER screen display, so I can see the same settings or remove the same settings in my viewfinder! The camera is the most advanced piece of elecronics imaginable. I can check or uncheck any of these settings to appear.

Dale
MiamiView attachment 175579
Ok, well it's way ahead of DJI in that regard. Probably will take another 5 - 8 years for DJI to get there considering it's an Android/IOS app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cubesinfotech