DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video quality and loss of video stream

peej1977

Reactions
Hi all,

Only flown the Mavic twice so far but had completely flawless performance the first time, yet last night I had all sorts of issues with the video feed on my iPhone.

I flew it out after calibrating and had good line of sight, no building, power lines, cell towers or anything for that matter to cause any issues. Suddenly at about 450m out I got the warning on the phone saying video feed had been lost. Flight controls still worked but RTH didn't. I had to manually guess using the yaw stick to get the distance number to reduce until I could see it and land it by eye.

This happened pretty much constantly for the next hour, sometimes even before I had taken off, the phone was registering that the drone was ready to fly, all flight data was being shown but no camera preview etc.

In all cases restarting the app, the controller and the drone solved the problem, eventually. But it was extremely frustrating. Latest firmware was installed.

I managed to get some footage and did some editing in Adobe Premiere, so the next part of my question is over the quality of the footage. If you watch the linked video in 4K you can see what I'd describe as "shimmering" or similar effect particularly if you look at the trees etc. Almost like they are alive and moving and pixelating.

I didn't experience this the first time I flew it. I don't know the exact settings I used in terms of ISO etc but I suspect due to the lower light and the EV showing as -x.x that I might have dropped the shutter speed to compensate instead of upping the ISO. Could this be the cause?

I'm using D-Log with a LUT I purchased for Premiere. Also am using +1 on sharpening and -1 on both contrast and saturation but I wonder if the sharpening could be the cause too? +1 on sharpening seems to be a common recommendation but as I said I'm new and only ever flown the thing twice.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J