DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video scrambled on the RC screen

How to fix the scrambled video on the RT screen

I don’t know if it will work for everybody but it did work for me :

1. Manually delete all the files in the DJI/ dji .go.v4 directory of the smartphone or tablet (activating the General Settings/ Clear Video Cache option does’nt delete all the files),

2. Uninstall/reinstall the DJI GO4 application,

3. Take off the Mavik Pro and start video recording until the video on the screen of the device connected to your Remote Command become scrambled,

4. Toggle from the Video mode to the Photo mode by mean of the icon on top of the Picture Settings Zone ( in the middle of the right side of the screen),

5. When the image on the screen becomes fine, toggle from the Photo mode to Video mode.

This process should solve the Scrambled Video issue for the rest of your life as it did for me.
This worked instantly for my Mavic Pro the go 4 app accumulates a massive amount of files even deleting data and cache doesn't do it you have to use a file manager and go into the go4 app and delete everything.

Mine go 4 app had accumulated 5000 files and was clogging up my Samsung galaxy s8 phone. After I did this my Mavic video downlink is pin sharp no lagging anymore.

which signal are you refering to? is it the video signal sent by the drone to the remote controller? when the problem occurs, the icon related to the stenght of this signal appears normal on the RC screen.

I've had the same issue with the last few updates and went through all the suggested fixes . I have always run DJIGo4 on my Droid Turbo without issue since getting one of the first Mavics . I finally upgraded to a Galaxy S9+ and it runs great again . I really wish DJI would allow us to run a version that would still work with the equipment we had when we purchased the unit . You shouldn't be forced to purchase a new device simply to continue flying your drone .

In case some people from DJI staff are reading this forum, I modestly suggests that in the next issue of their Android application and their firmware as well, they include a few additional lines of code in order that when the user start the remote controller he is not obliged to:
  1. acknowledge the message displayed by the DJI GO4 appli asking him if he wants to start this appli when the RC unit is connected,
  2. select among the list of DJI's drone which one he is using (I think that only a few percent of users have several DJI drones. For these happpy few an icon could be displayed for them to view the full list).
Obviously in the next issues of the appli and firmware, it would be appreciated that the option 'Clear the video cache' in the General Settings would effectively clear the video cache.
Thank you in advance

... when the user start the remote controller he is not obliged to:
  1. acknowledge the message displayed by the DJI GO4 appli asking him if he wants to start this appli when the RC unit is connected,
  2. select among the list of DJI's drone which one he is using (I think that only a few percent of users have several DJI drones. For these happpy few an icon could be displayed for them to view the full list)...
# 1 does not happen to me and # 2 automatically selects my Mavic. Try connecting your display device after the RC connects to the Mavic.

... am experiencing continous scrambling of the video on screen connected to the RC ; specially on the lower half of the screeen. The video saved on the SD card is still very fine...
I have fixed this by switching from video to still then back to video.

-> Mossiback
# 1 tomorrow I shall experiment the process of connecting my smartphone after the RC is connected to the Mavic which I didnt until now;
# 2 refer to my post " How to fix the scrambled video on the RT screen" in which I had also explained that switching from video to photo and back can solve the scrambled video problem. However after a lot of experiments I have concluded that this method is not always efficient. It often needs to be associated with a manual cleaning of the video cache (since activating the General Settings/ Clear Video Cache option does’nt delete all the files).
To my opinion this problem of the scrambled video should be seriously adressed by DJI in the next version of their Mavic firmware because it now affects lot of users.

By "scrambled", do you mean "blocky"?

I know it sounds illogical but many people have had issues with video transmissions directly attributed to poor SD card performance. I'm guessing that it has to do with the need to focus processing power of their Mavic to SD card writing instead of video transmission to the RC.

Can't be the fix to my issue- using the 'switch' from photo to video as 1. I'm already in video, 2. I'm already in 2.7K. Plus, doing the switch during flight video/still/video didn't help either

I do like what you say about the SD cards tho so maybe I'll try that as I have several brands. Can't say that I'd noticed the difference before tho, but should be worth a try.

Last edited:
Same issue andi wonder if it's a latency issue?? In my video you can see the delay in the image moving after some years inout...
Mav was about 50 feet away.

This is the video imaging I'm getting as well ,.. the whole screen is awash with a smeared image and never clears up

Can't be the fix to my issue- using the 'switch' from photo to video as 1. I'm already in video...
Whatever mode your camera is in, video or still, switch it out and back again. It has worked for me.

EDIT: This has fixed a minor pixillation problem. When I had the severe problem shown in the video I had to downgrade Go 4 to a version that worked properly.

I'm having this issue too... SO. FREAKING. ANNOYING! I thinks this is related to the last app update. Mine was flying fine on Sunday. Sunday night I updated the DJI app via Google Play and then Monday it was basically unusable. Bottom half of the screen is completely pixilated and blocky pretty much all of the time, and the top half too about half the time.

I went to do a paid job for a realtor last night right at sunset and had a perfect sky... of course I wasted it because I spent so much time trying to work out this pixilation issue. I ended up getting the job done, but it was very frustrating trying to line up shots when the screen only works for about 2 seconds every 20 seconds or so.

One thing I noticed was that the longer I flew, it seemed to get better. By the second half of the battery, the video feed basically worked without issue, but as soon as a landed and changed batteries, I was back to square one.

I haven't tried the methods suggested on this thread, but I will tonight when I get home. I'm pretty sure this is an app issue though, related to the last update. I've had the issue before with prior versions of the app, but subsequent updates always fixed it.

kodiak, extra flight time/batteries for me and it didn't fix any of it. I'm going to try the 'air' mode putting the tablet in airplane mode to see if that helps- android here. I've even gone to the Mavic Help page and set up my Tab similar to what is suggested and next may uninstall/install as pper that page as well if it doesn't clear up.
I flew two batteries on Sunday and nothing had changed. I knew it was unacceptable and a major issue as my smeared screen takes up 90% of my display. Sometimes it would start to clear up but then resume the smeared frozen look. It became really apparent when I got home to edit and found most of my flight was hovering in place and NOT flying

Jag, do you know whether it did the same thing before the last app update? You may want to try to downgrade the app, if you can find the .apk. Other than that, I'm going to try to turn off local caching. I already cleared the cache manually to see if that helps.

No, it didn't do this before or very very little and then refresh pretty quickly. Now, there is no refresh to it. Including some samples. Display shows 200+ ft altitude and sitting still ( hover). Android Samsung Tab A v7.1.1 android kernal 3.10-49 and to the best of my knowledge I've never had cache turned on.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 7
May want to downgrade to the last version of the app... I know there was a website that used to host older versions of the app. Anyone have a link that?

Thanks guys, these tips corrected the issue on mine. Been looking for the right answer for a while.

One side affect is that the flight path map in bottom left corner is solid black while flying. Any suggestions on this??

Flying soon to see if this works,.. when rains stop

Later post to update this-
It did NOT work, doing the rollback on the djigo4 app. However it did IMPROVE just a bit. So, I'm guessing that going further back than 4.2.16 might just be even better. if it is then that would imply being strictly applicable to my device. Will update in another post if that then works!!

Last edited:
I'm not saying its the SD card.... the device...
The more crap that DJI fit into the app, means you need a Telsla powered nuclear reactor to run the app.....

It's a combination of video devices and their O/S updates and hardware, PLUS DJI updates. Don't we like the "crap" Dji updates? (More modes and more functions ?) The updates need more computer processing. I looked at the compatibility chart, and found only one device I would use to get close to a Crystal Sky. The Samsung GS 9 or the plus. It's the only one with a "Nit" (brightness) value that even comes close to a Crystal Sky and it has this new chip set that makes it the "Fastest phone ever" according to Samsung. I'm about ready to upgrade my phone to the GS 9+, or keep my GS 7 and get a Crystal Sky. Crystal Sky is cheaper, it's incredible as a dedicated device. I can pay monthly for the new phone or pony up $469 for the smallest, lowest brightness Crystal Sky which would be better than the GS 9 I think because of all of it's options and hardware.

REALLY check out what the Crystal Sky has to offer... the ports the dual SD cards, no other apps but Android and and DJI GO 4, ..etc. They have 3 different models if you have a no limit, I'd go for the biggest and bestest.. AND you will have to buy a mounting device, maybe a case and another battery, but the life of the battery is already unreal.

Samsung Galaxy S9 Performance - AKG Stereo Speakers & Water Resistance | Samsung US

Buy CrystalSky - DJI Store

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54