DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video too sharp

MiniItaly

Reactions
Hello to all. The Mini's videocamera gives me too sharp videos. Is there a solution with smartphone application o pc? Thank you very much!

Hello to all. The Mini's videocamera gives me too sharp videos. Is there a solution with smartphone application o pc? Thank you very much!
Too sharp?

Yes. It must be softer. When i go to the settings in the smartphone apps the sharpness of the videos with the Mini is already completely canceled, it is a 0. Instead it is necessary to decrease it again. I hope i explained myself...

Yes. It must be softer. When i go to the settings in the smartphone apps the sharpness of the videos with the Mini is already completely canceled, it is a 0. Instead it is necessary to decrease it again. I hope i explained myself...
I’ll leave it to a Mm owner to answer about the settings. You can “soften” the footage in your editor if it has effects like “Gaussian blur”. But that is tricky and would be a pain to apply to every video you shoot.

i guess I’m not understanding why the footage is “too sharp.”

can you post a clip?

Reactions: MiniItaly
I try to attach a movie but it tell me extension not accepted..MP4..only photo mined..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200105-180019.jpg
    Screenshot_20200105-180019.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 116
When referring to "too sharp" I think the OP is referring to the lack of motion blur.

Watch this video for more information... (I'm just learning about this stuff myself.)

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're trying to explain. What "smartphone apps" are you referring to, and what does "completely canceled, it is 0" mean?

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're trying to explain. What "smartphone apps" are you referring to, and what does "completely canceled, it is 0" mean?

It means he's already drag the sharpness slider to 0. But really, I think Mavic Mini video and photo is already okay for my part. I had worst. Maybe he has that unusually keen eyes of a photographer.

Sorry MiniItaly, we're not getting what you're referring to.

Maybe the OP is referring to the DJI Fly's capability to edit the video in the application. (Going into Album, and then Create, then Pro, then Select a clip and hit the Add button. Then there is a Tone button that allows for adjusting Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Temp, Vignette and Sharpness.

By default, the video's Sharpness starts at Zero (0). You can actually go to negative numbers if required.

Attachments

• sharp.jpg
    sharp.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 55
It means he's already drag the sharpness slider to 0. But really, I think Mavic Mini video and photo is already okay for my part. I had worst. Maybe he has that unusually keen eyes of a photographer.
Well, I don't have any smartphone apps with a sharpness slider, but that would be digital sharpening, which is not actual sharpening but increased contrast at edges to make them appear sharper. Digital images generally need some sharpening, but if the complaint is that the Mini is applying too much digital sharpening (which many cheap cameras do to compensate for poor lenses), then there's nothing to be done about that except to hope that we eventually get some control over that in the camera settings.

Reactions: Jimbosmith
Thanks for collaboration! I wanted to add that if i watch the videos on the 46 inc TV and reduce the sharpness ( of the TV ), the videos are perfect ( at least for me )!

I think the 'sharpness' being referred to is the tendancy of the MM to apply a sharpness algorithm to the video captured by the camera. It is most noticable on straight edges which are dark against light. The algorithm adds a thin contrasting line to fool the eye into thinking the edge is sharp. You can re-create the effect in a still image in most photo editors like photoshop by turning up the sharpness value. It is a cheap trick to give the illusion of sharpness. It would be nice if in a future firmware/software release this could be adjustable. Most people who are familiar with photo editing would have noticed this already.

I try to attach a movie but it tell me extension not accepted..MP4..only photo mined..
When I look at it on my 1080 monitor, I see what the OP is talking about.
But on my calibrated 4K, it looks perfect.
Keep in mind, different viewing devices, different results.

if the Mini is like the Zoom, there is no aperture control.
I see exactly. It’s my complaint also.
Use ND filters so you can use a slower shutter speed.
it will give the water a little movement

To me, in my humble opinion, it looks more like a little over-exposure with high contrast. I would use my editingsoftware to play with filters and options.

Sorry MiniItaly, we're not getting what you're referring to.

Maybe the OP is referring to the DJI Fly's capability to edit the video in the application. (Going into Album, and then Create, then Pro, then Select a clip and hit the Add button. Then there is a Tone button that allows for adjusting Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Temp, Vignette and Sharpness.

By default, the video's Sharpness starts at Zero (0). You can actually go to negative numbers if required.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I haven't looked at DJI Fly's editor because I don't intend to use it. But I'm not sure what giving a negative number for sharpness can do to remove sharpening the Mini did before recording. I'd guess that it starts blurring?

Also having massive sharpness algorithm issues on the Mavic Mini 1. Mainly on high detail scenes where the bitrate just isn't enough the software sharpening is way OTT.

Is there a way to reduce the software sharpening at all as the image quality sucks when this happens.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2020-12-21-18h29m25s528.png
    vlcsnap-2020-12-21-18h29m25s528.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 26
Also having massive sharpness algorithm issues on the Mavic Mini 1. Mainly on high detail scenes where the bitrate just isn't enough the software sharpening is way OTT.

Is there a way to reduce the software sharpening at all as the image quality sucks when this happens.
It has nothing to do with sharpening, it's an artifact of compression codec and given recording bitrate, noticeable with fast paced video and complex details of an image (rocks, grass, foliage etc.). Make sure the SD card is fast enough to deal with it.

It has nothing to do with sharpening, it's an artifact of compression codec and given recording bitrate, noticeable with fast paced video and complex details of an image (rocks, grass, foliage etc.). Make sure the SD card is fast enough to deal with it.
Will it be worse with a slower SD? Surely that would just error or does it automatically adjust bitrate?

Are you saying this should be fixed with the higher bitrate of the Mini 2?

Will it be worse with a slower SD? Surely that would just error or does it automatically adjust bitrate?

Are you saying this should be fixed with the higher bitrate of the Mini 2?
You can't alter the bitrate of Mini video recording, it's given at 100 Mbps maximum, pretty much standard these days for camera of this class. The process of H.264/265 compression codec is highly content dependent, with tendency to "skip" some details of a very busy and rapidly changing frames. It will result with sporadic "mushiness" of randomly selected parts of the frame. Naturally the quality (speed) of recording medium is equally important, some experimentation here may be required. Of course without scrutinized examination of original video material from SD card this is just my educated guess ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom