DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vignetting - My Take on it.

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I just did my first Mini 3 dng images and there is definitely an issue with mine. I am up to date on firmware as of June 18, 2022 but what I am seeing is NOT vignetting proper. Vignetting refers to darkening or lightening of the corners. My DNG files show the left and right sides darker than the center. If I use the Vignette tool in Photoshop, by the time the middle areas of the left or right sides are the same exposure as the center section the corners are too light. This is really nasty and for me, this means DNG files from my mini3 are worthless. I know I can fix them in PS using layers and masking but THAT is not going to happen. This isn't a deal breaker. I won't send it back based on this unless I learn my problem is not being experienced by others then I'll look for a "repair" but I think this has been noticed by others. I'll return it for repair at some point but I have a need for it for the next month or two and we'll see what transpires. Hopefully a firmware update will take care of this.

I agree that LR or PS can essentially correct the vignetting but each of them seem to require a different level of correction. If I shoot several hundred dng images, laboriously dealing each one up in LR or PS is not my cup of tea. I'm betting everyone would agree on that! :). So, for the time being, I'll just be shooting jpg with a few exceptions when shooting images with a lot of dynamic range or tricky lighting.

I definitely have it and agree, it’s a pain in the rear on big jobs. I hope they can correct it in a future FW update but I am afraid it just might be a super baked in product in using a 1.7 lens.

Don't know why an f1.7 lens would have anything to do with it. The wide angle along with the lens protector or design of the enclosure of the lens may be an insurmountable problem. I will be very bummed to hear that. It would essentially mean that the drone (for me) would be worthless for photography as I do it. I'm guessing my return window is either passed or will pass before this gets fully understood but if was not fixable in firmware I would regret having bought the drone. LR and PS fixes are of no interest to me but I will use them when necessary which I will make infrequent by shooting jpg. Too early to worry.

Reminds me of the original Mavic. It had a large off-yellow tinted circle in the very middle of the frame.

Reactions: Forestjim
The fact is fixed in the 48mp version and on one of the DNG files produced by a panorama mode suggest this is a software problem and therefore fixable and not a physical hardware issue.

This should be fixed with the latest firmware

I just flew my mini 3 for the first time today after updating everything yesterday. I did not notice any vignette when shooting DNG on over 30 images with very blue skies, here in Arizona. So I'm guessing the firmware they recently dropped has fixed this issue.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky