DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Visiting Medford

ReliantAerialImaging

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi,

I'm going to be visiting a friend in Medford and have almost a week to plan out. I'm bringing my Mavic 2 Pro, and the friend i'm visiting is an avid downhill cyclist. I had hoped to get footage tracking downhill runs as well as scenery. My friend is an avid camper who knows how to find good camp sites to book, but I don't know much of what the state parks in the area offer-or for example if there is anywhere near Crater Lake I could hike to get a good shot while not violating National Park airspace.

A trip to the coast for at least a day is on the books but are there any specific areas other sUAS operators here would recommend?

Thanks!

The greatest concentration of Oregon State Parks is on the coast. There are a few scattered over inland areas, including in the Rogue Valley (where you’ll be in Medford).

By far the most campgrounds in the Cascade Mountains are US Forest Service.

The good news is that if you’re avoiding wildlife refuges and Federal Wilderness Areas you’re good to fly in State Parks and National Forests.

Sorry, I’m at the other end of the state and don’t have specific recommendations.

I'll toss out a few ideas and info.

Most if not all of Medford is within the airspace of Rogue Valley International airport so depending on your location it is either a no-fly zone, or you would need a LAANC authorization which is easy to get.

Crater Lake - Launching within the park boundaries is a no-go, and the closest you can get to the caldera is 3.5 miles on the east side on some unimproved roads. Having said that, it definitely is worth visiting and bring your camera. You can drive around the lake and pullout at several locations for some amazing views. Taking the boat tour for a lake level view is always a favorite for many. Probably best to book the boat tour in advance.

Upper and Lower Table Rocks - Located just a few minutes north of Medford, with trails to the top that have excellent views of the Rogue valley below. There are a few videos on YouTube that give you an idea of what it's like. More info here: Table rocks

Agate Lake - One of my favorite place's to kayak and only 20 minutes away from Medford, peaceful and picturesque.

There are a multitude of lakes, waterfalls, wineries, parks, trails and the Rogue River itself to explore in the Medford area. The waterfalls are most likely a trickle right now until the rains return. :(

The Oregon Coast - Generally you are ok to fly while on the beach as it is considered a highway, so it is a public right of way with little to no drone restrictions. State parks are generally at this moment ok to fly in unless posted otherwise, but that is in the process of changing. My advice is to go early, don't fly near people, in campgrounds or parking lots and avoid wildlife.

Two things to be aware of flying at the Coast: The rocks and sea stacks are protected and part of the Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge which forbids drones within a specified distance and a few beach access points have signs that forbid drones to protect Snowy Plover nesting areas.

You did not specify where on the coast you intend to visit, so I can't give you specific locations as to where to fly, but with over 350 miles of coastline there are many places you could fly. Just fly smart and be courteous, and you should be fine. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54