DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VLOS

Here in nz vlos is defined as being unaided. That means no binoculars etc.
I find in some conditions i can still hear my mm after it disappears from view. Usually like op says, looking down at screen and then not being able to spot it when you look back up. It is amazing sometimes how far i have to fly back to reaquire it.

I have four strobes on my rear legs, all blinking white light, so I know the orientation of the drone. I have four red blinking lights on the front legs of my air craft. Do, this because want I want single engine pilots and helies to see me as well. And, staying under 400 feet, and keeping visual line of sight.

Reactions: Otisangb
I have found none better. They are certified to 3.5 miles visibility, but not with my old eyes... check out the ground below my drone with 4 of the ARC2 XLs.
It seems that many of the Firehouse models fall under the radar. As you say the ARC2 XL's have 1000 lumens, but to my surprise they have another model, slightly smaller, slightly cheaper the ARC V, also puts out 1000 lumens ["New Firehouse Technology ARC "V" Professional Series Strobe is our brightest waterproof enased navigation strobe to date and the brightest self contained strobe on the market at 1000 lumens"] . I could tell that it was somewhat brighter than my ARC II. It must be a new entry as wasn't aware of it a few months ago. I was surprised at how small the ARC V is, but it lacks the emergency beeping of the XL. I've got four Firehouse strobes and IMO they (one man operation) could do a better job of providing specifications, particularly in the way of weight and dimensions. FWIW, Firehouse's competitor, the Lume Cube strobe only emits 500 lumens,which I think is the same as the ARC II strobe.

What are the dimensions of the ARC XL? They aren't listed anywhere that I can find. Thanks.

It seems that many of the Firehouse models fall under the radar. As you say the ARC2 XL's have 1000 lumens, but to my surprise they have another model, slightly smaller, slightly cheaper the ARC V, also puts out 1000 lumens ["New Firehouse Technology ARC "V" Professional Series Strobe is our brightest waterproof enased navigation strobe to date and the brightest self contained strobe on the market at 1000 lumens"] . I could tell that it was somewhat brighter than my ARC II. It must be a new entry as wasn't aware of it a few months ago. I was surprised at how small the ARC V is, but it lacks the emergency beeping of the XL. I've got four Firehouse strobes and IMO they (one man operation) could do a better job of providing specifications, particularly in the way of weight and dimensions. FWIW, Firehouse's competitor, the Lume Cube strobe only emits 500 lumens,which I think is the same as the ARC II strobe.

What are the dimensions of the ARC XL? They aren't listed anywhere that I can find. Thanks.
Have to get home to check

I thought vlos meant just a straight line from you to the drone, but I see from reading here that I was wrong. If you need to actually see the drone, what's the point of having one that can fly two or more miles?

I thought vlos meant just a straight line from you to the drone, but I see from reading here that I was wrong. If you need to actually see the drone, what's the point of having one that can fly two or more miles?
Advertised range is an indication of signal strength, lets you know how well it may deal with interference.

I have found none better. They are certified to 3.5 miles visibility, but not with my old eyes... check out the ground below my drone with 4 of the ARC2 XLs.
A very elucidating video. Its shows just how strong The Fire House ARC 2 6 led XL lights are.

You may not fly in straight lines out and back. I often fly circles or other circuitous routes... hence the flying distance.

VLOS? I keep seeing this I know what it means but I thought it was just a rule or law... but what about loss of signal? I have 100 acres which is long (3500 ft) and skinny, I was hoping to use this drone to look at said property from above. To do this I am sure I will loose VLOS... would I be breaking the law... or would my drone zing off into oblivion at some point? And no, I wont have a spotter I'm alone most of the time and do most everything by myself.. over my life I have gotten used to and pretty good at doing stuff by myself..

VLOS? I keep seeing this I know what it means but I thought it was just a rule or law... but what about loss of signal? I have 100 acres which is long (3500 ft) and skinny, I was hoping to use this drone to look at said property from above. To do this I am sure I will loose VLOS... would I be breaking the law... or would my drone zing off into oblivion at some point? And no, I wont have a spotter I'm alone most of the time and do most everything by myself.. over my life I have gotten used to and pretty good at doing stuff by myself..

As far as losing signal that would depend on the model of drone and any trees/structures that could obscure your signal.

For visual line of sight, yes you would be breaking regulations even on your own property.

You don’t mention what borders your property but as you say it is skinny you could easily wander or drift over an adjacent property as your aircraft goes out of sight.

The important thing, and the reason for the regulation, you don’t have situational awareness beyond your VLOS.

As far as losing signal that would depend on the model of drone and any trees/structures that could obscure your signal.

For visual line of sight, yes you would be breaking regulations even on your own property.

You don’t mention what borders your property but as you say it is skinny you could easily wander or drift over an adjacent property as your aircraft goes out of sight.

The important thing, and the reason for the regulation, you don’t have situational awareness beyond your VLOS.
Sorry looking at the MA2. I'm out in rural area, surrounding properties are mostly woods, hay fields and the occasional house. So if I would be breaking the law to scout the far end of my property whats the point of a drone then? (No I do not have one yet)

Sorry looking at the MA2. I'm out in rural area, surrounding properties are mostly woods, hay fields and the occasional house. So if I would be breaking the law to scout the far end of my property whats the point of a drone then? (No I do not have one yet)

It’s just a tool at the end of the day. It may not suit everyone’s proposed purpose. Personal choice of course.

We have to share the airspace with many other forms of aircraft and safety is the number one priority.

In his situation, I doubt there's a safety issue flying a bit BVLOS within his property, unless it's common for aircrafts like cropdusters to fly low in his area. However if his property is bordered by woods, his AC would be the least problem for low flying MAS.

If something goes wrong with the drone though, you may wish you had VLOS to see first hand what it did. Logs and FPV often don't help, especially if there's signal loss involved.

Likely you’ll be happier without one I think.

@A.O. ok so you have a car that has a top speed of 180 MPH ,but the legal speed limit is 70MPH ,my drone has an advertised range of 10k but i cant see it after it is 1k away ,the quoted speeds and range have no bearing whatsoever ,when it comes to the legal aspect , whether it driving the car or flying the drone the power of the car gives better acceleration ,and the range of the drone gives a better signal between the RC and drone

In his situation, I doubt there's a safety issue flying a bit BVLOS within his property, unless it's common for aircrafts like cropdusters to fly low in his area.

This is one of the reasons that more regulations are being introduced! it doesn’t matter whether someone thinks there isn’t a safety issue, the regulations still apply. You’re not legally allowed to make your own assessment. Just because you’ve never seen an aircraft in the area, doesn’t mean that there won’t be one there next time you fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark